Optical Drive Just Stopped Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

erbg42w

I have a pioneer dvd-rw 112D Optical drive and today for no reason completelly out of the blue i startup my pc and it dosnt read any discs, When i go into my computer it dosnt have the optical drive being recognized and when i go into the device manager it says the drivers may be corrupted but does not offer a solution. I am running windows vista ultimate 32 bit edition. please reply ASAP!

Something that comes to mind are filter drivers. The solution I'm about to pitch is actually for XP, but there's enough similarities to think Vista can have the same issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;270008

Basically, 3rd party software can screw up the software that is responsible for making your optical drives work. Sometimes, but uninstalling the application responsible (Various CD burning programs, most notably Roxio CD Burning software) can fix this. Sometimes it requires you edit your registy per the instructions above.

I don't have enough time to go into detail, but I hope that puts you on the right track. I also could be wrong too.

All optical drives have an average life of about one year. If they are used more frequently, they can fail in six to nine months. Luckily, they are relatively inexpensive. VISTA Ultimate has nothing to do with it.

raybay said:
VISTA Ultimate has nothing to do with it.
That's an awfully smug answer. I'll bet you money it isn't a hardware issue, because I've seen this problem on Windows 2000 and XP many times, for years now.

The key here is:
when i go into the device manager it says the drivers may be corrupted
That is what sets this apart from traditional drive failure. About the only thing that really goes bad on an optical drive are the mechanics. Read/write lasers quit working at spec or at all, the laser assembly gets stuck or misaligned etc... None of this will cause drivers that 'may be corrupted'.

So I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss this as hardware failure. You're going to be REALLY disappointed when you buy a new drive, get it installed and have the same issue.

no i havnt installed any new games lately the only thing i have installed in the past couple of days before the frive stopped was the windows media plugin for firefox. I have no idea what the link in the second post is trying to explain...i was just wondering if a hardware failware was to blame even if it is not likely my drive is only about 3 months old...i was thinking about getting a new lightscribe drive for my second drive..would this work..(wouldnt it install its own drivers automatically) also is there any way to re-install the drivers simpally and if so would this help???? i am very despirate and confused :S

i just noticed something i thought mite be worth noting...when i click "search for a solution" under the drive in device manager it says "failed to load driver software"...."checking for a solution..." but cannot offer one

Where do you see the Error Code 39 reported?
New optical drives can be bad, too.
Can you change out for another optical drive to see if there is a difference?
When you go to System->Hardware->Device Manager, is the correct DVD/CD-ROM drive listed there, or is that where it says there are corrupted drivers. If that is the case, you may have a Windows problem, or a bad drive.
You can find out more about Error Code at www.microsoft.com. See link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

But also search for others with a Microsoft or Google search for Error Code 39.

See if the manufacturer of your optical drive has a firmware update on their website. This used to be a common problem. It will not hurt to install a clean driver, in the rare event that they offer one, but note that a Registry edit is needed to properly re-install an optical drive driver. Finally, it could be the now rare upper and lower filter and /or related driver problem, which you will find discussed at Microsoft.

i see the code 39 reported under drive status in the drives section of device manager, i will change to a different drive today to see if there is a difference and will get back to you. The correct drive is listed in device manager

i just unistalled the drive then reinstalled it but it still says the same error message:code 39 "could not load drivers"

hang on.....when i uninstall the device then click scan for hardware changes it picks up the drive but the drivers fail to install is there any way i can download the drivers from somewhere else ??? the drive is the pioneer dvd-rw dvr-112d ata device.

Either your optical drive has failed permanently, or the cable is bad, or your jumpers are incorrect.

I had a similar problem a few years back on xp, when I installed a certain very aggressive dvd-player software. The weird thing was, everything showed fine within the bios and windows, but when burning it was taking 30 minutes to burn a dvd, while this was an average 5-9 mins before. I found out about some errors in regedit, but no way could I set those straigth again. Only solution for me at the time was a clean re-install of winxp.

If you have the possibility, you could install winxp or vista on another hd and check if the drive works ok. You can unplug the hd you're using now or do a dual boot (though dual boot with vista uses very new ways to create a dual boot and is quite complicated to get rid off, once you decide to go back to single boot, as I underwent just a week or so ago.) If you still have trouble, than most probably it's the drive, but if it works well, you could chose to reinstall vista or to repair it or something. I don't know how recovery or restore works with vista but you can find that out easily by googling for it I guess. Good luck!

raybay i have determined that the drive is not the problem because i installed a different drive and had exactly the same problem. Bontuk GOOD IDEA!!! i will borrow my brothers HDD tomorrow and see if the drive works and make a decision to reinstall windows or not after that THANKS!!!

yep upper filters need editing in your registry if you search this forum I explained this to somebody in last 2 days

If updating the driver does not resolve the problem, it indicates that there is a problem in the registry. To fix this problem, you may have to remove a few keys from the registry.

Note: Be careful while working with the registry editor because changes done to the registry using the Registry Editor are irreversible and mistakes can leave you with more problems than when you started. Therefore, it is recommended that you make a backup of the registry before proceeding with the changes.

After you have removed the registry keys listed below, you will have to reinstall all applications that you use for CD or DVD recording to make them work properly.

To fix the error by editing the registry, perform the following steps:

1. Exit and close all applications currently running on your PC.
2. Hold the windows key and R -> type Regedit and press the Enter key.
3. Next, navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ Control\Class\ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
4. Delete any of the following registry entries if they exist under this key:
* LowerFilters
* LowerFilters.bak
* UpperFilters
* UpperFilters.bak
5. Restart your PC and open My Computer to ensure that the CD-ROM drive is visible.
6. Also, open the Device Manager again to ensure that the yellow exclamation mark and the error code is now gone.
7. Restart your PC and open My Computer to ensure that the CD-ROM drive is visible.
8. Also, open the Device Manager again to ensure that the yellow exclamation mark and the error code is now gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back