Optimal sata setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzjunction

Hi all,

quick question.

i have an asus p4pe mobo. 1 samsung sata II drive, and one regular IDE drive....
the mobo supports only sata I speeds....

i was wondering which is the most optimal setup, having the sata drive as boot drive or the IDE as boot drive?

im not sure i totally understand the 150GB/s and 300Gb/s rating.... is that referring to the speed which the CPU is communicating with the drives, implying that since i use the boot drive more often, having sata drive as boot is better?

thanks

Running windows on a sata will be a bit quicker than on an ata. However, the difference wont be a great deal. A sata 1 runs at 150 GB/s which is the speed at which data is transferred from the hard drive to your mobo's (motherboard's) sata controller. An ata (regular IDE as you call it) is usually capable of 133 GB/s.
So you can see the speed difference is not that big.
Sata II on the other hand transfers data at 300 GB/s so using one with a raid card would be the quickest solution, but also the most expensive too.

in a raid 0 format, however you need two identical drives to maximize efficiency.

Also don't mix sata and IDE.

iv kinda found out thers a incompatability issue with asus nforce3 chipsets and maxtor diamond9 sataii drives...

from seagate
Model Number:ST3250623NS
Capacity:250 GB
Speed:7200 rpm
Seek time:8 ms avg
Interface:SATA 1.5Gb/s
sata 2 is 3gb/s
I/O data transfer rate
(Mbytes/sec max)150 (SATA 1.0)
ide is 100 to 133 mb/s top end
boot from the sata if you can

Status