Optimizations, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatman05

Ummmmmm....what Windows and hardware optimizations could i use to get the best performance out of my machine during gaming? It's very sluggish when playing...I don't expect 120fps out of an Intel 845G intergrated controller, but I at least expect to not have so many freezes and lockups. By the way, I AM NOT PLAYING EXTREME GAMES! I am playing low-brow games like Command and Conquer: Generals Zero Hour. (For system specs, click my name and look under "Computer #1")

Looking at your specs looks like the first play you need to start is by getting some more memory. Even with those lowere end games you are only running 96MB of RAM there which is really nothing.

greatman05 said:
Right now, i am limited to software tweaks. I will soon upgrade the memory and graphics card, though.
I am not sure what you can do with as little as you have.

You shouldn't even be able to run xp with that low of memory! If you are that is going to be another big chuck of why those games run the way they do. Minimun to run XP should be 256MB. To run it well you should have 512MB. You have 96MB.

Well, the point everyone here is making is-
You have to get at least the barebones minimum memory needed to run the Operating System alone, nonetheless the OS + a game.

There is no magical tweak or tuning parameter that will yield much when most all your PC's resources are being expunged paging data to the hard disk and performing massive IO across the bus to emulate more memory.

The best you can hope for without adding more memory is to optimize pagefile access as best you can, then just deal with your system being slow until you can add more memory. I dont even think you CAN optimize the pagefile though since you already have insufficient memory to remove the pagefile to do this!

And all this just to save $20? I mean, a 256MB stick of PC3200 is only 20 bucks, man!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146220

I wouldn't even bother running XP on a system with less than 512MB of memory.

RAM is CHEAP and the best investment you can do.

Your computer also has integrated graphics which "steals" system memory for video use.... Essentially you have a big calculator and not much more.

Hello? READ THE FINE PRINT

Dude, I'm like 13....I'm trying to get a summer job so I can do those upgrades....I plan to put in a 512MB stick and a GeforceFX 5500 PCI Graphics card (the mobo only has PCI Slots). I know what you mean. The card is at most 60$, and I found some Kingston Value Ram 512MB at newegg for 48$. Cheap. Besides, why get barebones if I can afford much more? :haha: :knock: :D

First, which card has the higher power requirement? I already have a CD-RW and a DVD-ROM drive in there with my Soundblaster Live 24Bit card. I think the PSU is 300W (not confirmed). Will the 6200 blow the supply? Also, does the 6200 take up more than 1 slot? I only have one slot free. Finally, are you sure that isn't an intergrated graphics based card? It looks strangely famillar.....*cough*TurboCache*cough*

please don't call me dude! I'm not a cowboy!
(and there is no fine print)

well you can get 512mb memory new off of ebay for less than $40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back