Origin launches EON17-SLX laptop with SLI / CrossFireX support

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Origin PC has launched their most powerful gaming laptop to date, the EON17-SLX. The new system is SLI and CrossFireX ready with Nvidia GeForce GTX 680M and AMD Radeon HD 7970M graphics cards on tap depending on how serious you are about mobile gaming.

Pricing starts at $1,867 which includes a 17.3-inch LED display operating at 1,920 x 1,080, a 3rd generation Intel Core i5 3320M dual-core processor, 4GB of DDR3 memory, a single HD 7970M graphics card, a 320GB 7,200RPM HDD, an 8X DVD drive and a backlit keyboard.

origin eon17-slx sli crossfirex support gaming laptop

A well-equipped system with an overclocked Extreme Edition Core i7-3920XM quad-core processor, 16GB of RAM, two overclocked GeForce GTX 680Ms in SLI, a Blu-ray drive and dual Intel 520 Series 240GB SSDs in RAID0 will set you back $4,750.

Regardless of configuration, Origin’s online configuration system lists an estimated shipping date of September 17.

It’s also worth pointing out that Origin’s new system appears to be built using an OEM chassis from Clevo, specifically their P370EM model. This type of rebranding is common practice among boutique PC builders which essentially means that consumers should expect to see similar systems show up from other vendors in the near future.

As with any product, if you’re in the market for a niche gaming system like this, it might be in your best interest to shop around to try and find the best pricing available and compare each company’s after-the-sale service. Of course, if you’ve got to have the fastest notebook around ASAP, this looks to be it.

Permalink to story.

One of my friends bought one thier desktop PC's. The factory overclock was not stable, we had to tweak it a little bit but it's good now. They wanted us to send it back in but who wants to do that?
Anyways I like this laptop, although I am sure it makes a good amount of fan noise... but if your overspending this much on a laptop you must know it's going to be noisy. For 900p/1080p you only need 5770/5870M like power to game with decent, sometimes high settings.

A 5870m (which two generations old) would struggle with just about every single modern game on the market now at anything over 900p with low-medium settings (which I wouldn't consider decent by any means) unless you mean WoW or minecraft.

If you want something cheaper, I would recommend a GT 650m as a bare minimum for playing at native 1080p with medium-high settings in most games. Have a look at the mobile graphics comparison at notebookcheck for some ballpark figures:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

A 5870m (which two generations old) would struggle with just about every single modern game on the market now at anything over 900p with low-medium settings (which I wouldn't consider decent by any means) unless you mean WoW or minecraft.
A 5870M is basically a 5770 in terms of specs/performance, a card that does surprisingly well at 900p/1080p.
It would run games like Bioshock/HL2/Borderlands/Dirt 2 or 3/Dragon Age: Origins/ Need For Speed HS/ Far Cry 2 at max or near, and many more games at high settings, most at medium settings. Yes, with more demanding titles you would have to crank it down some, in a few cases alot, but anything above a 6870M/GT 630M/650M will do quite well overall IMO.

As far as your notebook check remark, this is great advice.
I looked there when I got my XPS, it came with a 1GB GT550M (144 shaders/128bit/GF116) and my GT550M at 500 core runs near GT555M performance, which is very playable for many, many games at 720p/900p. For example, I can max Borderlands and lock it at 900p @ 4xAA 60FPS, Dragon Age: Origins runs around 45FPs+ on Ultra/900p. Dirt 2 is another I can run on high at 4XAA @ 900p/60FPS.
I agree with what your saying in a sense, but to say a GT 630M like GPU (basically what I have now) is limited to something like WoW for decent settings and/or playing at 900p is completely false, based on 20 or so games I have played including the ones I listed in the first paragraph. One important thing to note is a good CPU pushing the GPU, my little i5-2430M has been a great CPU.

Back