Os and hard drive questions - which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a newbie at this sort of thing, but I am looking for some advice.

I just built a new pc and the inital boot was good and I've got the bios set up the way I want it. I have a new 150 GB 10,000 rpm that I put in the new pc, but i also have an old 80 GB 7200 rpm hard drive that is less than a year old that I want to put into this pc also.

The burning question is which hard drive to put XP on? I was thinking about leaving the 80 GB hard drive for XP, office, etc. (stuff that I don't necessarily need speed for) and keep the 10000 rpm drive for games (stuff I want to go fast).

Am I nuts for going this route and should i just put in the 150 and be done with it? I know I can partition part of the 150 for XP but I am not sure how much I need to partition.

Thanks for any advice.

Here we go with personnal choice.

But I recommend 150Gig as C with Everything on it.

The 80 Gig can be used for swapfile space, and storing backups

Normally I don't like partitioning, but 150Gig, yes Ok pls partition

~30 Gig Windows / Office / all programs
~60Gig Games / Music
~60 Gig All other Data

This is an interesting question. Initially I was thinking OS on the 150 no question. Then I thought OS on 150, swap on 80 like kimsland said. Then I even questioned OS on the 80 and apps and swap on the 150.

I think though, you are best off with the OS on the 150. Swap on 1st partition on the 80, Programs on remaining of the 80. Documents and media on the remainder of the 150.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back