17" WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD with Built-in Camera

Intel® 915P PCI-Express Chipset

2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 533MHz - 2 x 1024MB
80GB ATA/100 7,200 RPM

24x10x24 CD-RW / 8X DVD Combo w/Software MPEG2 Decoder

8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24X CD-RW Combo w/Software

256MB NVidia® GeForce™ Go 6800 ultra

Internal 802.11b/g WiFi Card

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem

Computer crashed a while back every time It would boot into XP pro it would lock up about 5-15 minutes after user logon, I tried recovery console and reinstaling OS but it keeps stating device not found in XP instalation/recovery.

1.Wont boot to OS. Every time during boot phase i see it searching for a bootable device. Continuasly states Operating system not found or somtimes it will go through> (detecting..........)> BIOS not instaled/ OS not found> then it will reboot to bios after I pressed F2

2.Somtimes will not load BIOS configuration menu or states BIOS not installed/BIOS not found.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I have done

1.Checked physical connections including ATA hard drive pins and ATA ribon cable no apparent damage.

2.Tried both connection ATA ports 1 & 2 the machine has only booted to XP once succesfuly after detecting ATA 100 Hard Drive.

3.Disabled SCSI HD in BIOS and made sure its looking for an ATA drive.

4.used Defualt setting for BIOS.

5. Cleared CMOS by removing all power sources BUT manufacture states revers CMOS polarity by fliping over the battery (i'd rather not do that I have seen what reversing polarity can do to electronics very nasty even with DC power)

Result after all efforts thus far my Alienware 7700 will not load OS due to not locating a bootable device. Somtimes I am able to get into BIOS configuration 9/10 times I am unable to get in. Also continualy states BIOS not found/instaled or OS not found.
Please help

1.normal boot=Operating system not found

2.Pressing F2 to get into BIOS configuration= OS not found

3.Instaling XP=
Uknown Disk

Uknown Disk

Uknown Disk

Uknown Disk

when i press enter i get this stop message

Technical informaitn ***STOP:Ox0000008E (OxCOOOOOO5, OxF77F5CAD, OxF73B27E4, OxOOOOOOOO)

*** setupdd.sys-Address F77F5CAD base at F77C9000, DateStamp 41107c8f

I get the stop message if i press enter at the disk instaltion menu during XP instalation.

<b>Its only booted once succesfully after correcting a physical connection error on my part.</b>

Please help.

Seems to me your system is screwd if it's having problems in detecting the bois then it's time for a new motherboard.

HDD may be dead. Download a disk diagnostic utillity from the manufacturer. Do you hear any sounds like spinning? did you hear at any one time clicking and such etc?
Try hdd in another pc to see if it reads it or not.

Can you see your HDD when you access BIOS?

If it is a mobo problem, look for damage on the motherboard - burns, capacitor leaks, loose components etc. Maybe try attempt a BIOS flash.
Do you get any beeps?

Go back to minimum setup (mobo/CPU, power, 1 Ram, Audio/video) and troubleshoot from there.

This happened to my pc to!... i was hearing random clicking and thrashing from the HDD.... soon after it went pop! lol... turned out it ws f****d!

I don't think the hard drive is dead I just purchased the computer last november. And have no probems until now.

My next step is going to flash the bios as a last mesure and hope it does not mess up during that process.

Flashing bios with a hope and a prayer.

it doesn't matter that you bought it under a year. HDDs are the most unpredictable out of all PC components. I had a HDD go out in 10 months use and other HDDs still going 4 years strong etc.

But yeh, try the bios if you want to.. HDDs are easier to determine if they're broke or not ("plug them into another PC as slave" test)

Good luck :)

To bad its out of warrenty.

I would rather fix it myself then pay 100 dollars each way for shipping then be charged for labor and possibly parts.

I know I can fix it. Time is just the question of how long it will take.
<hr></hr>
Just recently I can get it to boot without a problem to my desktop which it gave me a stop message 20 minutes later.

So I konw the HD is good, The OS is fine, I will flash the bios but without a way to bun ISO format onto a disk like you would with NERO it will have to wait.

Reason why i say the hd is good I could pull off my data from another computer for backup purposes also it does boot to the OS from time to time and my BIOS is detecting the hard drive 9.5/10 times. Though it may not boot to the OS every time. once the bios is flashed it will work.

I hate flashing bios especialy with a mobo that has the bios imbeaded like mine, arggg. Next time I will make sure the bios is replaceable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back