OS on IDE HDD, can't get SATA to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been trying for a few days to get WinXP Pro to see my new SATA HDD as more than a removable storage device (much like an iPod). As the title says, my OS is already installed on my old IDE ATA drive and as far as I can find, the only info from my mobo's manufacture's site is about a fresh OS install on the SATA drive. The mobo came with a CD that has RAID drivers on it but I'm not quite sure how to install them on a current OS. Also, my BIOS finds the drive and, like I said, WinXP does see it but I can't do anything with it.
Any information would be helpful. Thanks
System specs: (not at my computer at the moment so sorry if I leave out something)

AMD 64 3500+ Venice
EPoX 9NPA+ Ultra mobo
1GB Corsair DDR RAM
eVGA GeForce 7800GT 256mb
Western Digital 120GB SATA (the one I can't get to work)
Western Digital 80GB IDE ATA (has OS on it and works)

-Lonewolf343

If the drivers on the mobo CD do not have a setup routine, check for an .inf file. You can right click on that file and select install to get the drivers into XP. Then look for your drive in device manager. If it is still installed incorrectly, try removing from device manager and rebooting.

What is it that you want to do with the SATA drive? load a OS on it or use it for storage? if you want it as a second drive with no OS on it. then you need to partition and format it. to do this go to start/programs/administrative tools/computer management/disk management. if your drive shows up there then you can partition and format it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back