OS problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

namja

I have just replaced my mobo and cpu and my computer will not boot to windows, it will give me the option to boot in safe mode, safe mode with networking etc... all these options will reboot the computer and start it all again. Please reply

After switching motherboards you normally need to reinstall Windows or at least a repair install, otherwise it most likely wont work.
The rare cases where you wont need to reinstall windows are when both motherboards have the same chipset.

A repair install should do the trick. It does not delete any personal files, however it does modify system files.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1755&page=5 provides a few tips that are mostly obvious.

To be safe, however, I would recommend putting your old mobo in, backing up any files you feel critical, and then proceeding. That covers you in the worst case scenario..

Unless your important files are in any of the system folders, I doubt it would do anything bad, but then again you can never be 100% sure, so better do what Goalie said.

Re-install Windows and go from there. Take your HDD out and either connect it to another PC to retreive data or pick up a USB to IDE tool and plug it into another PC (best tool ever!).

A fresh re-install of Windows is what you need, as your current windows will be unable to load boot.ini during startup because all your drivers are different. Clean and probably the smartest thing to do. Only takes an hour!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back