Oulook Express issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitnlit

I'm running outlook express and I do love it but I've had this issue before and I believe it's because I have SO many messages. When it sends a message I get an error, and it DOESN'T say what the error is. The message actually gets sent but then STAYS in my outbox and repeatedly gets sent over and over until I delete it. This has happened before to me. The only way I was able to fix it was to DELETE my SENT box. Reopen and have outlook express generate a new one, but right now, I have several folders branching OFF my sent file i.e. sent old, or sent 2006. If I delete my sent box, will it delete all of the folders branching OFF my sent box????
Thats my first question

My second question is; I'm certainly open to other mail programs. What I'm looking for is a mail program that would let me specify ACCEPTABLE INCOMING addresses so if someone WASN'T on a certain list, they wouldn't be allowed to email me. Does anyone know an email program like that?

Thanks so much!!! Maryann

For #2 - you can specify mailers you don't want to receive from by adding them to your Mail/Tools/Message Rules/blocked senders list. This just basically routes their mail right to the dump.

Actually, my question was more, I want to set up a specified ACCEPTABLE address list and if your not on the list, basically you don't get in. I don't want the hastle of having to "block senders" every time I get mail I don't want. I want to just add people to my acceptable senders list, have that list, and if your not on it...OH WELL, I can't get mail from you. It's sort of backward from what you are saying.
Maryann

Also, this looks like from what I am reading, I'm DELETING my sent mail box and my question is, if I delete my sent mail (.dbx) folder, will that delete my subsidiary folders attached to it?

email pop3 clients

Your question gets complicated when you use multiple email readers!

Most email get stored on the email server using a POP3 protocol.
(The other is IMAP, used primarily for enterprise systems).
When your email-client (like OE) accesses the email sever, it moves the
data from the email server to your system. The filter rules are applied to
the messages AFTER they are downloaded by IE.

So in the inbox, all your new email gets stored, filtered and then moved,
marked as spam (or whatever), priorities set, and some may get deleted.
These filter rules do not control which messages get downloaded!

Now you close IE and launch another email-client (say Thunderbird or even Outlook).
Access the SAME email server and --- you'll get no messages on the server.
Thus new or other filter rules can not be applied.

The other form of email is the webbased email, where you login using your
browser, like yahoo or gmail. There you can have filter rules too, but
if you delete a message, it is gone for good.

smitnlit said:
Also, this looks like from what I am reading, I'm DELETING my sent mail box and my question is, if I delete my sent mail (.dbx) folder, will that delete my subsidiary folders attached to it?
If you delete the sent items.dbx from your store folder it will NOT delete subsidiary folders.

Thunderbird and Firefox are a good alternative to the IE/OE combo.

I don`t know if they can do what your asking for,though.

You're the 6th person who has said Thunderbird to me so I need to investigate it further. I'm definitely looking for something specific here.
Much appreciated.
Maryann

I`ve just investigated the issue a bit further.

OE allows you to direct specific addresses to a specific folder,but

doesn`t stop non specified addresses from coming in.

Thunderbird will delete anything that isn`t in your address book,if you

choose that option.

Po`Girl said:
I`ve just investigated the issue a bit further.

OE allows you to direct specific addresses to a specific folder,but

doesn`t stop non specified addresses from coming in.

Thunderbird will delete anything that isn`t in your address book,if you

choose that option.

I beg to differ - it does allow you to set a filter so ONLY specified senders can Email you and it will block the rest.

From IE goto Mail, Read Mail, Tools, Message Rules, Mail, check 'Where the from line contains', drop to box 3 and click the blue sentence 'contains people', click 'address book', double click a name, click 'OK', do that with all your buddies, then click 'options' and under ;'apply rule if' select 'Message does not contain the people below'.

The limitation is that NOONE else can email you!

It is hard to have it both ways. I doubt any programme could do that.

:)

better check that again -- while you control the users who 'send to you',
you do so by deleting everything else. With the POP3 protocol, it is not possible
to do as the original request states.

With the IMAP, it is, but then you need to access a mail server which uses that
protocol, eg MS Exchange does this for enterprise hosted mail services.

jobeard said:
better check that again -- while you control the users who 'send to you',
you do so by deleting everything else. With the POP3 protocol, it is not possible
to do as the original request states.

With the IMAP, it is, but then you need to access a mail server which uses that
protocol, eg MS Exchange does this for enterprise hosted mail services.

Yes. I said that. What she wants is impossible UNLESS she actively blocks all but specific individuals.

How else could it work?

Ensure your outgoing server and ports are correct. Ensure the security setting is correct.

You have the option in both TB and outlook to choose where incoming messages are placed and what folders they are transferred out of. So if you establish a global inbox lets say from mutliple email addresses and also use a global for outgoing, then yes, it will delete all messages out of your sent box if you set it up that way. If you use local folders, then it will delete only from that local folder sent box. You have the option in either case to turn deleting off or set up a time delete.

I use thunderbird and you can sort mail with thunderbird. Also you have the option to either leave messages on the server when downloading or not.
Personally Thunderbird is a little easier for me to set up. Give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back