Outlook 2003 - Can't create file

Status
Not open for further replies.

pataz

I have several users that receive the following message in Outlook when they try to open an attachment:

“Can't create file: filename.xls. Right click on the folder you want to create the file in, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder.”

After some looking around I see that this is because Outlook creates copies or temp files from the attachments and over time they accumulate in a folder created by Outlook— The folder is named something like OLK# (where # is a random number). File names that have the same name have a number added to them-- i.e. filename01.xls, filename02.xls, filename03.xls, etc all the way up to filename99.xls. Once the amount of the files with the same name reaches 99 Outlook will throw the above-mentioned error.

Clearing out these files manually from the OKL# folder will TEMPORARILY correct the problem. But with this happening on multiple workstations it is not a viable solution to have to monitor and manually delete files because Outlook can’t count past 99.

Is there a PERMANENT solution out there anywhere?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
pataz

I don't think so.. You could create a batch file that deletes everything in that folder and then have the user run it when the problem appears (or, schedule the batch file to run periodically).

Why am I not surprised... The price we pay to use and license this software we should at least have a patch from MS for this especially since it's 4 years old. I guess their patch is to charge us more on an upgrade to fix all the things that should have been addressed in the first place! grrr...

As for the batch file-- we would have to continually update it since I think the folder name may change from time to time and it's usually named differently on different workstations.

Thanks for the reply Nodsu. Appreciate your input.

pataz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back