Outlook and messemger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Refwhett

I have theoretically uninstalled msn messenger from my system but whenever I start oulook express I get the messenger in my notification area! Very annoying.
How can I prevent that from happening again, and how come the program is even still on my computer....?

There is a setting in OE to load Messenger with it, you'll need to disable that. It is in Options in Outlook but it may be in a different exact location in OE, I can't remember.

download XP-Antispy it allows you to disable or remove messenger with the click of a button. ( including preventing it from starting with OE) it will also disable othe undesirable windows features and they can be renabled if you choose to.

http://www.xp-antispy.de/

when messenger is open, right click on it on the taskbar and got to prefs, then tell it not to automatically open

Originally posted by Vehementi
You can get rid of it forever I think with Add/Remove Windows Components...

I don't think this is possible. It is a built in Windoze component that cannot be simply removed.

with SP1 you can now "remove" messenger as per it's agreement with the DOJ microsoft added this to the SP1 release. however even MS admits that it is no treally removed what happens is it just no longer shows up in windows. its really nothing more than a hack that tricks windows into thinking that messenger is no longer there.

if you have Sp1 you can go to disk cleanup in system tools and click the more options tab then the windows components section.

SOME of you might be under the impression that SP-1 lets you uninstall binded Windows components. This is false.

Windows simply hides them from you and that is it.

To remove messenger, you will have to use a 3rd party tool like "Kill the messenger" or perhaps other such simlar methods. Add/Remove and "Set Program Access Defaults" does not do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back