Outlook Express 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul quest

For the last few days I have been trying to receive e mails each time I open outlook Express 6.

I am able to get the first 9. I then get two error messages (copied below.)

I then click the send/receive again in an attempt to get the rest. I then receive the same 9 emails again and no others.

I have tried closing the program down, restarting my pc, changing the timeout on outlook but still only get the same 9 mails over and over again.

I've tried using the help/troubleshoot part of outlook but nothing good has come from it!

Any ideas what I can do to get the other e mails that are stuck behind those annoying first 9?

Hope you guys can help a computer stupid, frustrated fella!

Message number 9 could not be retrieved. Account: 'http', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR popgate inactivity timeout', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800420CD
Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'http', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

AlbertLionheart said:
It is the 10th email message that is causing the problem.
Try logging in using the webmail service on
http://www2.bt.com/btPortal/applica...countLink&oOJsp=&oPg=btb_hub&siteArea=btb.mya
you should be able to access your emails there and clear out the problem message.

Thanks,

Managed to do that and then the other e mails arrived.

I even had the account deleted and renewed by bt.

It worked for about five minutes whilst they were on the phone to me. Once they had gone it all went wrong again!!!!

I'm still unable to use outlook though, any ideas?

I've now got this error message instead of the earlier posted ones.

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.btinternet.com', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Please help! :)

IMHO British Telecom are a bunch of incompetent wankers when it comes to things like POP3 and SMTP settings - and I'm a shareholder!
This message is telling you the account or password details don't match.
My advice would be to give up with the BT email account, get yourself one from Yahoo and run it through OE to avoid all the web based advertising. If you need the mail servers for yahoo based mail accounts they are
pop.mail.yahoo.com and smtp.mail.yahoo.com. The account name should be only the bit before the @ sign.

yahoo pop3/smtp port requirements

21. Under “Outgoing mail Server (SMTP)”,
check the box next to “This server requires a secure connection (SSL).
Enter port number “465” in the “Outgoing mail (SMTP)” field.

22. Under “Incoming mail (POP3)”,
check the box next to “This server requires a secure connection (SSL)".
The port number in the “Incoming mail (POP3)" field should is set to 995.

Hi jobeard
those settings should not be necessary in the UK - mine are set at 25 and 110 as normal and it all works fine.

Now I'm getting upset!

It all began working well again for two days and now I keep getting this message.
A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: 'mail.btinternet.com', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19

I'm just off to bang my head against the wall a couple of times.

paul quest said:
A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: 'mail.btinternet.com', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19
if you would have googled for the Error Number: 0x800CCC19,
you would have found this KB

AlbertLionheart said:
What happens if you change the names of the mail servers as I suggested??

I was able to find my mail by going into BT website and eventually remembering a password I set up with them 4 years ago!

When I returned to Outlook to give it another go it all seemed to be working fine again. No idea why or how!

Thanks for all the help guys. Without it I probably wouldn't have thought to go and look on their website. :blush: :grinthumb

If you are leaving a copy of the mail on the server, then you're going to have to clean it up. I have laptop and desktop on network and leave mail on server so I can use OE to get the mail on either computer.

However, the deleted box contents has to be deleted occasionally or you will be over the quota set by the ISP. That sounds like what's happening to you.

Here are the OE settings:
Tools> Accounts> Mail> Properties> Advanced tab> Delivery section> CHECK 'leave copy of message on server', CHECK 'remove from server when deleted from Deleted Items folder> Apply> OK.

When you get a 'screenful' in the Deleted box: Edit> Select All> Delete.

For now, go into the server site and delete all the mail that is there. Make sure you get your incoming first. This will start you off with a clean slate and you can maintain it by doing the above.

Remember, when the quota is counted, ALL the mail counts! So keep it clean!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back