Outlook what is its purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerabuser30

I have Outlook on all of my computers from Windows or office. What the hell does it do? Does it Sync with AOL or Yahoo? I tried snycing it with Yahoo once and it went poorly. If I know what's it is for I will figure it out but I have no clue what its purpose is.

its for email

if your isp gives you an email, generally you will need to use a program such as outlook and it will go to their mail server to get it for you

personally i just stick with webbased email, like yahoo...i can get it whereever i am

Can your email be as big as 20MB including attachments with the free web mail accounts?
Can you access Usenet or News Groups with web mail?
Can your storage capacity be as big as your hard drive/ s capacity?

All or most ISPs now provide web access; I can access my mail from any where. And I use Outlook and Outlook Express on 2 of my systems on daily basis.

Here are 2 of my email accounts web access:

www.skynet.ca

http://my.uniserve.com

Outlook is the full version of the Outlook Express with many cool features.

I have an account with Yahoo as well as GMail but I don’t remember my email address or the password for either of them since I don’t use them that often.

Even though I use outlook and outlook express, I recommend Thunderbird

Outlook (and its derivative Outlook Express) are the preferred targets for anything malicious that floats around on the internet.
They are crap programs, with so many holes in them, that a Swiss Emmental cheese looks 'pale' compared to it. The number of patches to stop those gaps, can still not fill those holes, even after so many years! New holes are discovered on an almost daily base!
Avoid at all cost, unless you are forced by your boss to use them at work.

What else is new with Microsoft?

I think compared to MSN messenger, Outlook is much better.

I quit my admin job just cause they decided to move from Novell to Microsoft (bad move on my part :) )

I had to use Win2K with SP1 media on this Omnibook (with no integrated NIC) because it wouldn’t read my homemade 2K w/SP4. I ended up having to use the USB cable that came with the SpeedSstream I was sent (both still in the box, and actually became useful) , installed the drivers, installed access manger, connected to my ISP and went directly to Winblows Update to be prompted that I need at least SP2 to be able to use Windows update (never mind the IE prior to 5.5) second site was Microsoft as well to download the SP. (it wouldn’t install from my CD!?) mean while I was swamped with Messenger popups, and within seconds the system was infected with viruses that were downloading and inviting their buddies over for a party. I didn’t download anything or clicked on anything, I think my total clicks did not exceed 10 counts. How sad is that? I should’ve used GRC’s Shoot the Messenger at the least.

Ended up burning another image of 2K w/SP4 got a USB to Ethernet adapter and went through setup and updates connected to my “secure” network. This was just last week.

Any MS product should be treated the same way you treat and approach a person with a highly contagious disease!

The above line looks good as my sig ... hmmm

messanger is an instant messanger program, outlook is an email handler.
Don't use instant messanging - it is an invitation for viruses.

Thunderbird email handler is far superior to outlook and safer.

Usage of OUTLOOK

Outlook is far more than just an email reader like Outlook Express.

It is a Contact manager which allows classification of people,
eg: lawyers, doctors, indian chiefs, family, work associates
There are several Professional Contact Managers better (Gold Mine), but none cheaper :)

A Calendar with appointments which can be classified into arbitrary groups
(work, family, legal)

A Task manager (ie: things you need to do) with scheduled due dates and percentage of completion.

and a summary manager (Outlook Today button) which will show you a
summary of your Appointments and Task for today.

If you configure it correctly, you can SEND email but never download email, which makes it
easy to manage and confirm appointments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back