1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Over 20,000 Christians sign petition demanding Netflix cancels Good Omens, a show on Amazon...

By midian182 · 51 replies
Jun 21, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. Starring Michael Sheen as the angel Aziraphale and David Tennant as a demon called Crowley, Good Omens sees the pair team up to stop an imminent apocalypse, which is brought about by the Antichrist—an eleven-year-old boy living in the UK.

The show has gained hugely positive reviews, but the Return to Order campaign, which is an offshoot of the US Foundation for a Christian Civilization, isn’t happy with program. It claims that Good Omens “mocks God's wisdom” in several ways, including having an angel and demon be friends, God being voiced by a woman, and satanic nuns. A petition was launched to try and get the show canceled, but it was addressed to Netflix instead of Amazon.

The petition has now been corrected, with the mistake blamed on an “oversight” by staff, but you can still see the original below. It’s currently got over 20,000 signatures, though the group probably shouldn’t hold out hope of achieving its goal.

As noted by The Guardian, Return to Order demanded Walmart to stop selling “Satanic products” earlier this year and has protested against the "blasphemous" Sweet Jesus ice cream chain. It has also petitioned against the Office Christmas Party movie, TV shows Preacher, Lucifer, and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, and the Cards Against Humanity game.

Permalink to story.

2. fluffydestroyer

fluffydestroyer TS Booster Posts: 81   +41

How can they think its a great idea ? Instead of having a debate and their point of view, lets shut the whole thing off and hide it from everything since its "blasphemous". Thats a great way to get acceptance from your views and get respect to your religion. Of course I'm sarcastic. Don't get me wrong, I don't trust nor believe in religion but to actually asking a company to remove a series or movie looks very bad and compromises their credibility. Is there any religion at all in the entire planet that does not go on the line of "my way or the highway" ? Every single religion on earth say or do that. "You listen to me or else".

EDIT: I could give lots of examples like the last line I said in the catholic religion. You must obey or bad things will happen to you. I'm sure its the same with christians and all others. The word obey is too often used in religion in my opinion. Respect is not something looked upon unfortunately.

BMAN61, Omid Matin and Clynt like this.
  3. Hardware Geek

Hardware Geek TS Booster Posts: 88   +68

I hadn't heard of this show, but now I'm going to watch it!

4. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus Stone age computing - click on the rock below.. Posts: 4,060   +1,187

What? No fatwa? This is a heavenly opportunity for all the fundamentalists to unite in one grand petition. Gather together! Bring back burning at the stake!!

Yes, I am trying to be sarcastic.

I'm convinced that God must be a 'she' to put up with all childish things we do.

Footlong and lipe123 like this.
  5. tkabou

tkabou TS Enthusiast Posts: 35   +43

This is one of the few times they've raised their voice. No one seems to bat an eye when it's the LGBTQxyz and minority groups that are forcing their ideology onto others, including little children.

That Dude There and kombu like this.
  6. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 2,195   +1,617

[QUOTE="fluffydestroyer, post: 1754888, member: 399077"... Is there any religion at all in the entire planet that does not go on the line of "my way or the highway" ? Every single religion on earth say or do that. "You listen to me or else".

EDIT: I could give lots of examples like the last line I said in the catholic religion. You must obey or bad things will happen to you. I'm sure its the same with christians and all others. The word obey is too often used in religion in my opinion. Respect is not something looked upon unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

I am sorry to hear that you have had not that great of experiences with certain faiths. There is much I could say on the matter but I do not want to come off as forcing my views upon you. Also, I do not have enough time right now. For now, know that not all faiths are out to condemn everyone.

Cycloid Torus likes this.
  7. lipe123

lipe123 TS Evangelist Posts: 799   +333

What a load of Bull*** Those people are *not* christians they are hateful divisive *****s that use christianity as an excuse to judge and hate others. Real christians would use this as an example to show how the show misrepresents the things we actually believe and use it as a fun way to teach and educate.

It's a fictional show for crying out loud, why didn't they petition the book? Not flashy and eye catching enough to give them publicity?

Ludak021 and Mr Majestyk like this.
  8. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,467   +500

My first thought upon hearing about this petition, admittedly jaded, was that it might be a publicity stunt started by Amazon. Looks like the real deal, but seriously it's like this group has no concept of how the world works today - they have basically given the show a big shot of free publicity, and will have the net effect of increasing viewership. Clueless crusaderism at its finest.

Hardware Geek likes this.
  9. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 2,559   +549

I bet they would hate this site, it's full of bible versus they don't touch with a 10 foot pole.
    http://www.evilbible.com/evil-bible-home-page/murder-in-the-bible/
    Just a little taste
    All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense. (Leviticus 20:9 NLT)
    A priest’s daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death. (Leviticus 21:9 NAB)
    But if this charge is true (that she wasn’t a virgin on her wedding night), and evidence of the girls virginity is not found, they shall bring the girl to the entrance of her fathers house and there her townsman shall stone her to death, because she committed a crime against Israel by her unchasteness in her father’s house. Thus shall you purge the evil from your midst. (Deuteronomy 22:20-21 NAB)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  10. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 4,476   +3,035

Netflix just got fingered by bible thumpers.

11. Manuel Diego

Manuel Diego TS Booster Posts: 56   +66

They don't (think).

Ludak021 and fluffydestroyer like this.
  12. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 3,968   +2,275

As I see it, people like those complaining were programmed to spout whatever they were taught, and they accept what they were taught as the absolute truth. Until they find a way to deprogram themselves, they will be incapable of independent thought, and the world will work only in the way that they were programmed to see it work.

Vrmithrax likes this.
  13. jonny888

jonny888 TS Booster Posts: 61   +64

There's a big difference between exposing people to your thoughts/beliefs/ideologies, and attempting to force others to adopt them.

"I believe in God" is not the same as "You must believe in God". One is acceptable. The other is not.

Not sure what LGBTQ has to do with the argument? But if I take a stab at guessing what you're getting at, you think that exposing people/children to the idea that "It's okay to be LGBTQ" is the same thing as saying "You should be LBGTQ". Which is almost exactly missing the point.

14. drjekelmrhyde

drjekelmrhyde TS Evangelist Posts: 324   +113

Have any of these morons ever seen Supernatural or Lucifer?

Ludak021 likes this.
  15. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 3,968   +2,275

I have to wonder about comments like this because to me, it seems like comments like this attempt to force their ideology on everyone here in the forum, if not elsewhere.

16. Lew Zealand

Lew Zealand TS Guru Posts: 664   +556

What? Where are LGBTQ and minority groups forcing their ideologies on others? Are they calling for some shows to be cancelled?

17. Impudicus

Impudicus TS Addict Posts: 136   +92

This petition is the only reason I now have any interests in watching this show. I will check it out.

18. Thorney

Thorney TS Enthusiast Posts: 56   +14

or Chilling Adventures of Sabrina which definitely glamorised Satanic worship but I guess that must be less blasphemous than an angel and the Devil hanging out trying to save the world. But of course none of these people will have watched any of the show. Its as light as Dr Who.

19. Squid Surprise

Squid Surprise TS Evangelist Posts: 2,544   +1,536

Read the book when it came out and loved it.... saw the TV series a few weeks back and have to admit that it's even better :)

Any time a comedy comes out that mocks the bible, you'll see these fools come out and attempt to have it banned... I still remember Monty Python's Life of Brian - tons of protesters - and all they accomplished was to make it more money...

Anyways, always look on the bright side of life!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M

20. hay fizzy

hay fizzy TS Rookie Posts: 16

Great tv series. I hope there is a second series

21. toooooot

toooooot TS Evangelist Posts: 814   +399

There are no signs of real Christians there. Those are busy doing good deeds and making this planet a better place.

22. Axle Grease

Axle Grease TS Addict Posts: 138   +56

It's not as though you're the authority on what makes a Christian a Christian.

23. dualkelly

dualkelly TS Booster Posts: 75   +52

Last time I checked real Christians rape little boys by the thousands and nuns mass murder children and bury them in sewers (look up Taum, Ireland)...
    Good deeds alright.

24. toooooot

toooooot TS Evangelist Posts: 814   +399

According to the book Christians use called bible, those who do evil dont belong to the ones known as Christians.
    The same book you probably dont believe and disagree with has a very clear way to identify if someone is worth being called a Christian. It is the same book true Christians know and use to guide their lives.
    So again, some do terrible things in the name of someone or something and claim they are Christians, likewise you claim them be Christians ignoring their book that clearly shows that those that do evil have nothing to do with Christians.

I think if you wanted to judge a politician like Trump for example, it wouldnt be enough for you if he told you he means good for you, a citizen he is to lead and make your country great.

So then, why is it enough for you that someone proclaimed himself or herself Christian and has done terrible things?

25. dualkelly

dualkelly TS Booster Posts: 75   +52

You might want to re-read your book again buddy this time with a little bit more comprehension than a first grader. Your so called holy book the bible has guidelines on owning slaves. raping women, selling your daughter into slavery, abusing animals, genocide, incest and the list goes on and on its all there in black and white despite your failure to see it.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...