Overclock or NOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

codeseven

I would like to overclock my Gateway Performance 933's CPU. It's an Intel D815EEA 'Fedora' mobo with an Intel 82815 'Solano' chip set,933Mhz,133 FSB and Intel Corp. EA81510A BIOS. I know that because it's Intel the clock multiplier is locked so I can only increase the FSB. The only problem is that I cannot find anywhere to adjust the FSB or voltage in my BIOS. I have used the jumper to access the 'maintenance' mode,but nowhere do I see anything to do with the FSB/voltage. I must be overlooking something! Is there some program I need to download to access the FSB adjustment? or maybe I'm SOL on this one. Thanks

Not all mobo's supports overclocking...
Especially those sold through gateway, compaq, ibm etc... And Intel hasn't been very forthcoming for the oc'ing scene lately (with the exception of nortwood)...

You could possibly flash your BIOS with a more oc friendly version, but I doubt you'll find any which are compatible... This leaves connecting the L1 bridges manually... Which AFAIK isn't a viable option with Intel, as they are somewhere under the cermic cover...

What I'm trying to say is that (but I do like to type ;)):
I doubt there are any easy way for you to oc you current machine...

.02$

I don't recommend this practice at all unless you are VERY comfortable with this kind of thing. I don't overclock any of my working machines, and only do so as an interesting exercise on older kit. I would recommend REALLY doing your homework on this kind of thing before you even attempt it, and if you do to be absolutely sure of what you are doing and what the possible consquences are. Personally, I would not bother.

Me neither Phant...

PC builders such as Gateway, Dell, etc. use proprietary BIOS's, and they don't allow you to do such things as overclock, switch IRQ's, etc. to keep their customer service down a notch, and to save money on warranty claims. You could probably get that boy above 1.1GHz, but still...

Often times compaq or gateway machines WILL have more then one FSB setting, because they may use the same motherboard to sell two different processors. (For instance, gateway sold a box that either came as a p3 using 133mhz fsb or a celeron using 100mhz FSB)

However even if you could do that, the latter end of the p6 era (pentium III towards the 1ghz range) really were NOT very friendly for overclocking... the celerons were a bit more tolerant, as they always have been, but not be a great deal. And in the case of a p3 - You will never get a proprietary motherboard that supports FSB above 133.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back