Overclocked, now wont turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
i overclocked my pc a while ago and didn't know what i was doing. it stopped turning on so i just bought a new one. i am now trying to fix it so i bought a new processor but it still won't turn on. is it my motherboard or ram maybe??

well your motherboard is automatically overclocking your cpu now, so that's the issue, you may have to reinstall original bios or do a cmos flash on the mother board.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I suggest you set your bios to it`s default settings.

This can be achieved by means of the clear cmos jumper on the mobo. Your mobo manual will tell you how to do this.

Alternatively, you can remove the cmos battery for a few minutes, then replace it, this should reset your bios to it`s default settings.

See if that helps and let us know the outcome.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

i took out the battery for a few minutes and it still doesn't turn on. i also noticed that it used to beep before it turned on and now it doesn't beep at all? don't know if that helps

I`m sorry to hear that. I hope it`s not the case, but it sounds like a fried mobo to me. :( I take it, you`ve tried another psu, just in case?

Regards Howard :)

If it`s a faulty mobo, then a new mobo should fix the problem. However, I`d still try another psu first. Also, you could try disconnecting the system from the mains and taking out the cmos battery again. Leave the battery out for ten minutes and press the power button a few times, before replacing the battery.

Overclocking stresses just about any component in the comp, so anything may have gone wrong.

CPU, motherboard, RAM, PSU, graphics card....

But in this case, with no beep, you're talking about possible PSU or motherboard problems. Only a few things cause the no-beep.

If you bought another comp with similar specs, the easiest way to see whats wrong is to replace the parts one by one, and see which one causes problems in the new comp.

kylie32489 said:
srry i know i probably sound like a complete ***** but i understood nothing in what you just said

No problem, you don`t sound like an ***** at all, so don`t worry.

I`ll try and make it a little clearer for you.

If it`s a faulty mobo, then replacing the mobo should solve your problem.

However, before doing that, you should definitely try another psu, this is to rule out a faulty psu as a possible cause.

Also, you can try unplugging the system from the mains outlet, then take out the cmos battery again. Leave it out for around ten minutes, during which time you should press the power on button several times. This will help to discharge any residual power from the system.

Then, replace the cmos battery and reconnect the system to the mains outlet and try powering up the system again.

Ask First..................

...because overclocking will be very expensive otherwise. You probably blew out your NB. Do the PSU swap thing like was suggested first. If you can even get it to reboot, do the default thing and observe. Then post back to TSF. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back