Graphics: Fx5200
Graphics Ram: 128 MB
Motherboard: MSI kn72
Monitor: 17 inch TFT
Drive Bay 1: CD-Rewriter
Drive Bay 2: DVD Player
Operating
System: Windows Xp

I have already had it at 3200xp and didnt think she was that fast. It also started gettin slower. I have now reset it back down but it is still slow and every now and then the internet freezes up which it didnt use to do. I was thinking this was the mermory. Anyways I have ordered 1GB of Geil Performance Ram and a GT6600. Will this extra RAM make a difference for me OC?

Any thoughts or Ideas would be great. Cheers

Having extra ram will certainly suck voltage. Increasing voltage will develop hotter components.
Be very careful when overclocking. I toasted a 3200 XP I had.

Ok I reset the settings in my BIO's to default and everything seems to be ok. Is there anyway I can stress test it? Link me

You can stress test(stability test) with prime 95's torture test option. Use the max heat option, and run it overnight to test it.
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

If you want to oc, get ram that can run higher than stock speeds. Like if you pc regualarly runs ram at pc3200 speed, you'll need ram that can tolerate more, like pc4400, or whatever, the higher the better for allowing a high oc. If you regularly run at pc2700(ddr333), then pc3200 will allow some oc'ing headroom.

bascially you bump up the settings a tad at a time until the system becomes unstable. watch your temps closely.

No. Although theoretically you could put faster ram in it, it would only work at PC3200 speed or slower if it works at all. Only use memory in speed, brand, or size that the motherboard manufactuer recommends. RTFM.

Pc4400 works in a pc3200 motherboard. I had my pc3200 ram running at pc 3500, when it was oc'ed. As the fsb increases, so does the memory speed, so if your fsb is 200, your memory is at pc3200 speed, if you oc to 250fsb, then your memory(if you have fast enough memory) will be at pc 4000 speed. So if you want to oc to 250fsb you need pc4000(or higher), or use a memory divider that slows the ram in relation to the fsb. The motherboard doesn't officially support running higher than pc3200, but that's what oc'ing is, running faster than spec.
The fsb(well actually htt) speeds are what my a64 has, other cpus will vary.

Arnoldo said:
I have already had it at 3200xp and didnt think she was that fast. It also started gettin slower. I have now reset it back down but it is still slow and every now and then the internet freezes up which it didnt use to do. I was thinking this was the mermory.
I'm thinking it's the operating system.

I'd say the bottleneck in your current setup is your graphics card.

Anyway, if you want to overclock your CPU, I'd suggest unlocking the multiplier and changing it instead of increasing FSB too much.

you're only partially correct. Because the components on the motherboard are designed to run at a certain speed, placing memory above those specs is not overclocking. Overclocking being defined as using stock specs and tweaking them above the specified normal speeds.

If you use components with greater capacity in a stock system, that's analygous to putting a jet engine in a model T. Sure it may work for a while, but all the other parts will burn out early. They're not designed for that.

So in this case it is not overclocking, it's more like radical modding.

Are you sure? Ok, example. I have an amd 939 3000+ cpu with a cpu multi of 9x, my htt is 200, which makes my cpu speed 9 x 200 = 1800. Ok, so I oc the htt, and get it to 272 x 9 = 2448mhz. Ok, ram is then at ddr544(272 x 2 due to ddr), so if I'd have some ddr550(or higher) ram, then it could run a 1:1 ratio with the htt. Unfortunately, I don't have any ddr550, rather, I have ddr400, so I use dividers to slow down the ram in relation to the htt speed. Are you saying if I had ddr550 installed at my oc, it would fry my motherboard/ram/cpu if I ran it 1:1 with the htt?

http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=3354

you totally misread my reply. Please re-read.

Using hardware on a system that is not built for it is NOT overclocking, that's hyper-building. I don't recommend it because it stresses components other than the CPU.

Overclocking is using STOCK hardware and tweaking it.

potentially over the long term, you could hurt your motherboard. It simply wasn't designed to handle it.

It's kind of like towing a big boat with a small car that has a huge engine in it.
Yes, you may tow the boat, but your wheels and tranny will burn up eventually.

Tedster said:
you totally misread my reply. Please re-read.

Using hardware on a system that is not built for it is NOT overclocking, that's hyper-building. I don't recommend it because it stresses components other than the CPU.

Overclocking is using STOCK hardware and tweaking it.

potentially over the long term, you could hurt your motherboard. It simply wasn't designed to handle it.

It's kind of like towing a big boat with a small car that has a huge engine in it.
Yes, you may tow the boat, but your wheels and tranny will burn up eventually.

What are you talking about? Putting a faster component into a slower running board does NOT burn out ANYTHING faster. Do you have any idea how solid-state devices work?

If you put RAM that is spec'ed for up to, say, 266mhz, and are running at only 200mhz, that is absolutely fine. There is absolutely no fear of something "burning out" because of a faster component if you clocked said component down to what your motherboard or other hardware supports. That is how ALL clock-driven devices operate.

And exactly what do you mean by "suck voltage"? Components do not draw voltage, they draw current. A voltage DROP occurs when a component is drawing more current than the power supply or motherboard can deliver properly. If you have a component that draws the same amount of power at 266mhz as compared to a like- component at 200mhz, and put the 266mhz component at 200, it will be drawing LESS power and in all likelyhood be more stable.

You cannot compare RAM and processors to a small car with a huge engine at all; it is a completely different world with completely different rules.

vnf4ultra: You are CORRECT. That is something you can do, and assuming your motherboard is stable with the increased FSB speed, it IS a good idea to get faster ram to let it be in sync with the CPU. Don't listen to Tedster, I have no idea where he is getting his information from but it is wrong.

You would NOT fry your motherboard, I assure you.

Arnoldo: Most likely what has happened is that your CPU was not capable of 2.1-2.2ghz at stock voltage, or not stable at that high of a clock speed. Give us some more information and I can help you further.

I know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I work with electronics on a daily basis. Some of them very high tech. (Advanced Army radars.)

PUTTING faster components on a motherboard not engineered for it can cause premature failure of components due to stress and heat. Plain and simple.

And YES you CAN make the comparison.

:cool:

Soul Harvester said:
What are you talking about? Putting a faster component into a slower running board does NOT burn out ANYTHING faster. Do you have any idea how solid-state devices work?

If you put RAM that is spec'ed for up to, say, 266mhz, and are running at only 200mhz, that is absolutely fine. There is absolutely no fear of something "burning out" because of a faster component if you clocked said component down to what your motherboard or other hardware supports. That is how ALL clock-driven devices operate.

And exactly what do you mean by "suck voltage"? Components do not draw voltage, they draw current. A voltage DROP occurs when a component is drawing more current than the power supply or motherboard can deliver properly. If you have a component that draws the same amount of power at 266mhz as compared to a like- component at 200mhz, and put the 266mhz component at 200, it will be drawing LESS power and in all likelyhood be more stable.

You cannot compare RAM and processors to a small car with a huge engine at all; it is a completely different world with completely different rules.

vnf4ultra: You are CORRECT. That is something you can do, and assuming your motherboard is stable with the increased FSB speed, it IS a good idea to get faster ram to let it be in sync with the CPU. Don't listen to Tedster, I have no idea where he is getting his information from but it is wrong.

You would NOT fry your motherboard, I assure you.

Arnoldo: Most likely what has happened is that your CPU was not capable of 2.1-2.2ghz at stock voltage, or not stable at that high of a clock speed. Give us some more information and I can help you further.

Shew... I thought I must have gone crazy, at least I'm not the only one if I have. I'm not an expert on the engineering of mobos, but I thought I was right.

"Overclocking is using STOCK hardware and tweaking it."
What do you mean by "tweaking." To me, tweaking, like adjusting your cas latency, but overclocking, is well, Over Clocking the components.

over clocking is using stock components .... just like I said.

Running a CPU faster than it's designed for is tweaking (overclocking) PROVIDED you are using stock components.

Using components that WEREN'T intended for the motherboard is NOT overclocking that's something entirely different. For example, putting faster RAM in the motherboard than it was engineered for. emplacing extra chips or swapping EPROMS. (now I'm getting a little old school!) This is NOT overclocking. This is hardware modification.

Tedster said:
over clocking is using stock components .... just like I said.

Running a CPU faster than it's designed for is tweaking (overclocking) PROVIDED you are using stock components.

Using components that WEREN'T intended for the motherboard is NOT overclocking that's something entirely different. For example, putting faster RAM in the motherboard than it was engineered for. emplacing extra chips or swapping EPROMS. (now I'm getting a little old school!) This is NOT overclocking. This is hardware modification.

I was not talking about that at all and in fact I agree with you in that aspect.

You do understand that a solid-state device that is CLOCK DRIVEN has its operating speed determined by the CLOCK, not the device, correct? If you had any basic EE education you would understand that you are not going to "burn out" a component at all by putting a higher-spec'd part (but keeping it within the tolerance range of the original component) into it.

If you had any Digital EE experience you would know that.

You need to do a lot more studying.

You will not burn out a motherboard by putting PC4200 RAM in it, running it at 200mhz, when the motherboard says it supports up to PC3200.

"PUTTING faster components on a motherboard not engineered for it can cause premature failure of components due to stress and heat. Plain and simple"

False. Not plain and simple.

Well now your attacks are getting personal, so I will cease responding. As a matter of fact, I DO have a formal education in electronics.
I don't mind debating electronics and applications but making personal attacks is unprofessional. You don't KNOW me, my education, my background, nor what I do for a living.
have a nice day

I am not making personal attacks at all. You are giving blatanly wrong advice to people that it could really matter to. That is important in a place like this. Innaccurate information is worse than just saying, "I'm not sure, let me find out."

I know exactly what I'm talking about. I've built quite a few computers, I have a degree in electronics, and I work with electronics every day.
I'm ceasing this thread. Obviously you're too immature to have a debate with.

I would expect someone with formal training in EE to know better. What you said earlier was wrong, plain and simple. It's not that big of a deal, just be careful what you say sometimes. Look, I'm not trying to insult you or make fun of you. I only brought this up because of bad information.

Tedster said:
Well now your attacks are getting personal, so I will cease responding. As a matter of fact, I DO have a formal education in electronics.
I don't mind debating electronics and applications but making personal attacks is unprofessional. You don't KNOW me, my education, my background, nor what I do for a living.
have a nice day

Show me ONE LINE from any of Soul Harvester's posts that is immature or a personal attack on you. Please.

Besides "You need to do a lot more studying." :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back