Overclocking an amd 64 bit processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rik

Hi, I have just built an amd 64bit pc for a friend.

the specs are:-

Amd 3000 64bit processor (2ghz)
Asus k8v-x mobo
Ati radeon 9550
512 meg 400ddr ram

Just wondered if anyone knows if its safe to overclock it and by how much?

Thanx in advance. Rik.

Since that is not an FX cpu, your only choice for overclocking is to raise the FSB. Most ASUS boards will let you raise just the CPU FSB, and let you have the memory out of sync. I don't suggest this, as it can lead to some performance issues, but overall you don't have much headroom. That older core CPU, without getting exotic, you probably won't be able to get 10-15% above stock, and IMO will not be worth it.

If you download a program called ASUS prob then it will "auto overclock" to a safe level. But you will start getting performance issues ETC if you go to far.

If you wanted to overclock thruogh the BIOS then start by increasing the FSB in increments 2. After every change logon and make sure that the computer isnt stuffing around.

Personally i would only increase the FSB by 8 total. Make sure you have sufficent cooling!

ASUS probe is not an overclocking program, it is a system monitoring utility. It does not "auto overclock".

Whoops, thier is another ASUS program that is found on the Asus website that does do the auto overclock.

Im not sure if its the "cool & quiet" utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back