Overclocking CPU causes SATA problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin16

Hi I figured that this post should go under this forum because its primarily a storage problem.

I have a newly installed 200GB SATA Maxtor drive. When it was first installed in my computer, my CPU was overclocked roughly 18% from 2.66Ghz to 3.14Ghz. It has been this way for a while and I have had no stability or heat issues.

When overclocked, the BIOS gives random results for the SATA drive. Sometimes it even hangs at POST. After this, I tried to disable the overclocking and it worked fine.

This SATA drive is NOT my OS drive, but is merely used for storage. My main drive is an 80GB PATA.

My question is: Why would overclocking have any effect on how the SATA drive runs?

It`s probably something to do with the sata port you`re using. It`s probably unlocked. If this is so, then your oc is ocing the sata port.

Check in your mobo manual, or mobo manufacturers website, to see which sata ports are locked and which are unlocked.

Look HERE for more info.

Regards Howard :)

OK I only have 2 ports and I've tried them both. Oh well, I get what i paid for, and thats not a lot.

If i buy a separate SATA card, it will be unaffected right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back