Overclocking HD2900PRO 512mb (World in conflict benchmark)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmutz

Graphics Processor is running @601mhz
Graphics memory is running @800mhz/1600mhz

I'm using WIC benchmark to monitor improvements and get an average FPS of 30 @1280x1024 and all settings highest/turned on apart from AA/AF/Soft shadows and Vsync. (My other components include Q6600/2gb PC6400, ASUS P5K-E)

What do you guys think is the optimal increase I should use, and how far can I go safely? I've read that people have their hardware overclocked all the time now and its a lot more stable than it used to be

Another question to save making another thread, how far can I safely overclock my CPU? I see almost noone here who uses Q6600 at 2.4ghz so I'm curious :D

Schmutz said:
Should the frequency read 400mhz? I'm sure it should because we actually get double that (making the 800mhz) thanks to dual channel, but I'm just curious here.

Yes, it should be reading 400MHz.
However, your statement about a Dual-Channel configuration doubling your RAM speed is incorrect.

It is the fact that you are using DDR memory that makes 400MHz effectively 800MHz.
DDR2 means Double Data Rate II. Double Data Rate means that data is sent on both ends of the tactical signal, effectively doubling the physical speed.

Dual-Channel, on the other hand, increases overall performance by about 15%. It is the equivalent of having two lanes on a freeway as opposed to one, which is how it speeds things up.

The fact that it is DDR2 RAM makes the 400MHz effectively 800MHz. The fact that it is in Dual-Channel has nothing to do with the effective speed doubling the physical speed.

Schmutz said:
Also, shouldnt the CAS Latency read 4.0Clocks? Do I need to configure something in the BIOS to take full advantage of my RAM?

If your RAM is rated to be capable of DDR2-800MHz while having a CAS Latency of 4, then you can feel free to go into the BIOS to change it. Sometimes RAM timings are loosened, to ensure that a system will boot up on a system that can't handle tight timings.

If you ask me, your World in Conflict performance is very acceptable. I play on medium settings, 1024x768 resolution, and get about 25-30FPS on the built-in benchmark :(.

cool thanks grafficks :)

DDR2 = x2 - got it ;) :D I'll take a look in BIOS and change some settings for CAS 4. If I can achieve this, what kind of improvement will I see? Anything significant?

And finally, I know the World in conflict performance is fine :D I have actually just upgraded from AMD 3500+/1GB/6800GT 256mb so I am overwhelmed with the speed post upgrading! But theres nothing wrong trying to get optimal performance is there :cool:

I've just been playing Crysis and I havent overclocked any components yet. I am still using Q6600 - 2.4ghz/2gb ram @ CL5/2900PRO 600/800mhz.

Crysis @ 1280x1024/High quality = 10-20FPS

How much of an increase can I achieve with overclocking anyway? I really want to enjoy the amazing graphics in this game but for a decent framerate I'm forced into medium settings...

(update) I've overclocked to Q6600 @ 3.0ghz//2gb @ 4-4-4-12//2900PRO @ 800/900mhz

Now I am consistantly >20fps in crysis on 1280x1024/high Q. For the most part it is between 20-30fps and very playable, but rotating quickly in the game takes the FPS down to 20, it actually looks even less as it staggers into a slideshow for some moments... :( - It seems to do this on Medium settings too, like its just a driver bug or something

fellow 2900 pro owner!

Hi, Ive just got a 2900pro from ebay.co.uk, and as youve just upgraded to one, I was wondering if you could tell me a few things. Ok, this is my 6th graphics card since my radeon 7000 in 2002, the rest have all been nvidia, so being totally new to ati, apart from having catalyst (7.11 I guess?) how/what programs did you use to get your overclock?

Did you use ati tool or other benchmarks or games to see if it was stable?

What settings have you got your fan at under load?

Whats your load temps like on the gpu?

Did you get any further than 800mhz on the core clock?

And does overclocking the ram make much of a difference?

I wont have the card till next week, so this is something to keep my occupied for a few days, apart from christmas and not having to work :)

Time to put my good old 7900gt @ 700/850 into retirement :(

Cheers

Wow you guys are getting insane core overclocks from those video cards, congrats. The 2900 Pro are amazing video cards I've heard, they are just slightly underclocked 2900 XTs. 20-30 FPS on High is amazing if you ask me, for such a demanding game like crysis. I play crysis on Very High, except shaders are on high, with an 8800GT and I get around the same 20-30 fps. There is about 2-3 fps difference from switching everything from High to Very High, except for Shaders. Once you put shaders on very high, then you will see your FPS dip down into unplayable 10-15 fps.

I overclock my Q6600 to 3.2ghz for gaming,Im sure it can go alot higher just haven't needed to yet.This is on a Abit ip35pro MB.

I have mine overclocked to 3.0ghz and don't feel it is holding my RAM/graphics card back in any apps so I don't want to go any higher

SoIDidItAgain; I was using Cataylist control center to overclock, but since I started using Rivatuner because I can overclock the memory to 1000mhz(2000mhz) compared with 900/1800mhz in Cataylist control center. Overclocking memory seems to have more of a performance impact than overclocking core. If I go higher than 750mhz on the core I begin to see artifacts/subtle graphical problems and these get more severe the higher I overclock, I haven't (and don't wish) to go past 820mhz - to stay safe!

NFSFAN have you tried taking shadows off in crysis? I think that has an even larger impact than shader high ->very high. Using DX9 1280x1024, all high (shadows low) I was getting 30-60fps on the "Relic" level, that level is so smooth yet looks so great! On DX10 1280x1024 all very high I got ~15fps, which isn't so good, but with shadows off it jumped up to ~20fps. I've read that you can get even more frames messing around in the console by disabling object motion blur while using very high shaders, but haven't tried this yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back