Overclocking Help Needed +3000 AMD XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

d_kollar

Overclocking Help Needed ++3000 AMD XP

heyy guys well basically iam trying to overclock my AMD 3000 XP which is 2.16GHZ to about 2.8GHZ i manage to overclock it to 2.4 no problem and the temperture is about 38 C everytime i try to go higher then 186MHZ it never runs windows xp and goes into a black screen i would have to restart and put it back to 186MHZ but

I know 2.8GHZ is a big step also so what kind of cooling products would i need.

Also what are the chances of the cpu getting damaged or fry so far that i know of is that if the temperture goes to aroud 75 - 80 C it frys the cpu but other then that is there any more risks?

this is my first time overclocking sorry for being such a newb lol thanks guys if you can help me out.

AMD 3000+ XP [ 2.16GHZ ]
ASUS A7N8X
60GB HARDRIVE
256MB RAM

DAVE.

Overclocking help needed. AMD +3000 XP

heyy guys well basically iam trying to overclock my AMD 3000 XP which is 2.16GHZ to about 2.8GHZ i manage to overclock it to 2.4 no problem and the temperture is about 38 C everytime i try to go higher then 186MHZ it never runs windows xp and goes into a black screen i would have to restart and put it back to 186MHZ but

I know 2.8GHZ is a big step also so what kind of cooling products would i need.

Also what are the chances of the cpu getting damaged or fry so far that i know of is that if the temperture goes to aroud 75 - 80 C it frys the cpu but other then that is there any more risks?

this is my first time overclocking sorry for being such a newb lol thanks guys if you can help me out.

AMD 3000+ XP [ 2.16GHZ ]
ASUS A7N8X
60GB HARDRIVE
256MB RAM

DAVE.

I'm not sure if a axp 3000+ can hit 2.8, I could be wrong though. I guess all things are possible with liquid nitrogen or phase cooling. ;)
You could try a really good heatsink or watercool it if you don't want the expense of the "extreme" measures.

Don't increase the vcore too much, it's the easiest way to kill your chip. Heat/voltage are related, both can kill the chip. I've never gone beyond 1.6v(for a 939 3000+), I think 1.5-1.55v are more "safe". YMMV

Are you using any ram dividers or do you have oc'ing ram? If not, then that could hold you back. Also do you have an agp/pci lock, if not you could mess things up(fried pci cards etc).

Are you using any ram dividers or do you have oc'ing ram? If not, then that could hold you back. Also do you have an agp/pci lock, if not you could mess things up(fried pci cards etc

sorry but what is a ram divider? and no i have no overclocking ram how much would you think i need? also what is an agp/pci lock? thanks

First ram runs at it's max(or near max) speed to start with(usually), so it can't really go any higher(or much higher). So if I have pc3200 ram, which runs at 200mhz(400 effective), then at stock it's 200mhz, but if I oc to 250, the ram's at 250 too, which it can't do. So I set the ram from beign 200mhz to 166mhz, which is called a divider, 166/200(rounded to 5/6). So the ram runs at about 5/6 the speed, so at 250 the ram's at 208mhz instead of 250. That's a simple way of explaining it, that isn't entirely accurate, there's a memory speed calculation forumla that's more accurate. I can't say for sure about athlon xp's, I've never owned/used one, I have an a64, which is a little different.

Ocing ram is just ram that can take faster speeds, like I could get pc 4400 ram instead of pc3200 and it would let me oc without a divider up to the max speed of that ram, which is higher than the max speed of pc3200.

Agp/pci lock locks the agp and pci buses so they stay the same speed even if oc'ed. agp should be 66mhz, pci 33mhz. Sometimes it's called agp/pci asynchronous(not synchronized). It should be in the bios settings if you have it. Some boards don't have this, which is bad, cause then you could mess up your graphics cards/pci cards by running them too fast.

What's the fsb of your cpu? And what speed of ram?

You can check if your agp/pci are locked with clockgen, here's the link.
http://www.cpuid.org/cg.php?cgid=NVNF2
If you oc the fsb above stock and your agp is still 66 and the pci 33, then you're good to go, you have a working pci/agp lock already in place.

http://www.geocities.com/criminal_taurus/INFO.jpg - CLICK HERE FOR MY CLOCK GEN/TEMPERTURE I RECORDED.

also iam new to overclocking and i just wanna say you have been very helpful and thanks alot for your time.

i was planning to overclock up to 2.4. - 2.6

what would i need? more ram? will a fan do the job?

if you can let me know what steps and what i should buy for overclocking

im planning to get another bar of 256 which will add up to 512MB

and mayb a pretty good fan for about 40 - 50$ let me know if thats good enough to overclock without screwing up.

also the lowest my voltage can go is 1.6 is that still safe to overclock with? and what are the possibilitys of my cpu breaking down or frying if the temperture is below 50 C and the voltage is 1.6 is there still a possiblity it can fry or break?

thankz.

You may get 2.5 with liquid but you'll need liquid nitrogen or a refrigeration set-up to get close to 2.8.

Personally I don't recommend overclocking. I fried a new CPU by overclocking.
Spend the few extra bucks and upgrade the CPU.

I don't think you need more ram to oc, if you use a divider(if available on your board).

It'd be a good idea to get a good heatsink/fan and some artic silver 5 thermal material to keep it cooled well.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835186103
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106037
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106035

In that pic, your agp and pci are good, is that stock or oc'ed?
Also, man, your fan's running at 7500 rpm? That must sound like a jet engine. :)

I'm not sure about the voltage heat. My *guess* is that it's possible to kill a cpu with too much voltage even if it's cool. Like some people cool with liquid nitrogen, which is very very cold, and I think if you had the cpu at -100 and then put the vcore to 2v, it probably would fry but not be too hot, that's a guess though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back