Overclocking info required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an FIC k8mc51g mobo and an amd sempron 3100+ proccesor my chipset is nvidia nforce 430/410. this is my first computer( bought it at walmart) is there anyway i might be able to change my bios so that i could overclock its currently only running at 1.8ghz. take it easy on me if its a dumb question this is my first time. any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Russ

ohh my chipset is nvidia nforce 430/410 and i cant see my bios string, damn e is all that shows while its counting the memory.

thanks again

If you are not VERY experienced with computers, I don't recomend overclocking. It can damage your pc, shorten its lifespan, use more power, and the performance increase is mediocre at best.

Regards,

Korrupt

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your cpu is running at the correct speed.

I agree with korrupt, ocing can lead to problems if you don`t know what you`re doing. I don`t think ocing your cpu would reap very much of a performance boost at all.

However, having said that, it`s up to you if you really want to try.

I have moved your thread to the correct cooling and modding forum. I have also changed your thread title to something a little more appropriate. If you have a look around in this foum, you will find lots of info on overclocking.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Overclocking an oem machine is not a good idea, they usually have just enough cooling to run at normal speed and their power supplies cant really handle the extra power need to overclock!!!

Basically, overclocking generates a lot more heat and uses a bit more power!!!!

you really don't have to be"VERY experienced" you just have to read carefully some topics around and you'll get the ideea of overclocking at least i did..and i never did "damage" to my pc.

You may be able to get a bios update from your mobo manufacturer, but i would advise against overclocking without at least upgrading your cpu cooler!!

Overclocking with stock cooling is asking for trouble!!!!

It's imposible to overclock an OEM PC. Their BIOS don't allow you to do that.
And you get the wrong BIOS, you'll be asking for trouble.
If you want to increase system performance, you can always add RAM, change video card (if possible), or even better, build your own PC.

OEM PC´s are not made for overclocking.

BTW Rik, I'm currently overclocking my CPU using AMD's stock HSF, and it has passed some Prime95's torture test :)

Regards :wave:

eazy_duz_em said:
you really don't have to be"VERY experienced" you just have to read carefully some topics around and you'll get the ideea of overclocking at least i did..and i never did "damage" to my pc.

I guess youre one of the lucky ones. I agree, reading about these things will help you a lot, but you have gotta be able to respond spontaneously to a problem. You can hardly google any and all problems youre gonna encounter.

Korrupt

Yeah... Overclocking isnt really a good thing for most cpu's unless its a core 2 duo that can ahndle it because of the less heat output compared to other models of intel and/or amd cpu's.

The PC in question here is a W3115 Emachine. Now most of the peeps here are not so fond of th eEmachine but i can tell u this.... Emachines likes to use a custom bios that locks the CPU clock, the stock mobo directly from FIC may have clocking functionality, but the FIC mobo from Emach. is modded with the bios and i belive possibly ohysically also to lock the clocks. I feel ur pain i myself have a T3265 which is probably the best rig they acidently built w/ the Athlon XP 3200+, although i have upgrade to a 500w PSU and a 6600GT vid card. i searched for 2 yrs on a way to oc my FIC mobo (AU-31) and found only one crazy procedure with a bunch of solder connects that i would'nt risk. IF you need more speed look for a new CPU at Newegg or Tigerdirect. Only prob ther is 754 procs are gonna be hard to find soon. AND u say your inexp'd so live with it or get better gear.

wolfram said:
I'm currently overclocking my CPU using AMD's stock HSF
I'll second that. My old 3200+ ran at 2.35ghz with stock HSF and temps never passed 38C with ambient at 25C. With Pentium 4s, overclocking on stock is trouble because those run at 45-60 at stock speed with the stock HSF. With Core 2s and AMDs you can overclock somewhat without an aftermarket cooler, however, you can overclock much further with one.

As for overclocking OEM pc's usually you can't, and if you can, you probably shouldn't because they usually have JUST enough power to run the way they are and they can't handle the extra power needed for overclocking. Also, the parts in them are low quality and usually cannot take the increased speeds that overclocking produces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back