Overclocking My GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I am completely new to this whole overclocking thing, so please bear with me and my inexperience.
I saw on a website that you could overclock your graphics card to increase the performance of games. The site suggested that I download a thing called the Coolbits Regristry Tweak, which would unlock something that would allow me to overclock my Nvidia video card. So, I did exactly what it said, downloaded it, unzipped it, applied it, and restarted my computer. But, when I turned it back on and opened up the Nvidia Control Panel, the option hadn't been unlocked.
My graphics card is an Nvidia Geforce Go 7600, and I am running Vista.
Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?
Thank you!

Download and install nTune. Click the performance setting (click agree), then tune system. This will select the best clocks for you.

nTune is good but you could also use RivaTuner 2.01 Final for Vista if you want more control over image quality/performance tweaking. Just make sure you only apply the clock settings in just the one application. You can still set the clock in nTune but use RivaTuner to adjust just the image quality.

The problem is, your graphics card is a Geforce Go 7600, meaning it is a laptop card. So I must assume that you have a laptop. Laptops really shouldn't be overclocked, because everything is in a very confined space, and as such, prone to overheating.

MetalX said:
The problem is, your graphics card is a Geforce Go 7600, meaning it is a laptop card. So I must assume that you have a laptop. Laptops really shouldn't be overclocked, because everything is in a very confined space, and as such, prone to overheating.

Good point.

You won't see much gain anyway and you would increase heat & decrease battery life unless you kept it plugged in. You see more gain on higher end GPUs which can cope with extra heat & being pushed harder because they are proper gaming cards - yours seems like a card thats for general laptop use & older games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back