Overclocking Radeon 7200

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some advice on what to overclock it to. What do you guys recommend for the memory/core speeds on a 7200 64 mb sdram chip?

Thanks,

-Kyle.

Since the Radeon 7200 runs at a core and memory clock of 166MHz (I can't believe I know that...) than you probably could get it stable around 183MHz, but you may be able to pump it above that. Overclockability varies from card to card, especially ones with good cooling. I assume you have the stock cooler. In that case, if you don't have a heatsink over your memory, I wouldn't try to raise the memory clock above 180-183MHz.

The 'newer' SDR 64mb Radeon 7200 models are clocked at 155mhz - 155/155... the older 32mb SDR model is 160/160.

Like veh said, 180 range is probably the highest you would want to go; seeing as the R7200 only comes with a passive HS

Thanks guys. Also, I am wondering about getting a new video card. Would you recommend waiting for the prices to drop for a good one, or what? Thanks,

-Kyle.

I always suggest waiting for the next generation to come out and get the previous one, this saves you some money and you are still up to date enogh to hang in there. But it is totally up to you whether you want to get the 2nd generation one currently out now, or wait until the 1st generation out now gets surpassed by something else and becomes cheaper. personally I would upgrade, but it isn't my rig. Hope this helps.

It also depends what CPU you have, as to whether an upgrade is worthwhile. E.g. A Radeon 9700 would be wasted in a machine with only a 1Ghz Processor, simply because the processor would become a large bottleneck.

Well, I got an Intel Pentium 4 1.8 ghz 400mhz fsb

I would consider upgrading to at least a GF4Ti4200, as you will see large increases in speed. And if you have a large monitor i.e. 19"+ I would recommend either a GF4Ti4600 or a R9700 just so you can have a real high resolution at high framerates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back