overclocking vga's

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinkedKube

overclocking a video card, a higher end one can be bottle necked by a lower end processor right. I'm thinking now that I switched out my to my quad I may be able to overclock it a bit further.

You first have to consider the front side bus and the processor, before you can get top performance out of video graphics.

The only thing that can make the CPU the bottleneck so far is the 8800gtx as far as I recall....

I wouldn't be worried about your 7950gt.

Why over clock a high end card? Is the 2FPS gain going to be worth the extra heat and stress put onto the card?

Well said, unless he is trying to be a 3D MARK king

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

I have the best aftermarket cooler, as far as fans, and I'm becoming a 3dmark kind, currently at 26k, a little higher, highest is a little over 30k. Just curious to know if a lower end processor would bottle neck a top end card. Just wondering, thx.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that you've got the biggest aftermarket cooler....

The most expensive doesn't mean the biggest....

I know I dont have the biggest, but by testing and some benching I do have the best for my card, w/o moving over water/liquid. Load temps are 40C

CMH said:
I wouldn't be so quick to say that you've got the biggest aftermarket cooler....

The most expensive doesn't mean the biggest....

With good aftermarket heatsinks you usually get what you pay for, its just a finely engineered piece of metal, I'd put my piece of metal and cards up to yours anyday, unless you can find something that works with fans that's better then conceed. But there is nothing better at this point.

out of curiosity, what aftermarket heatsink you've got on your card anyway? takes up extra 2 PCI slots like mine? Unless it does, I doubt you can call it the biggest

:D:D:D

I'm bringing up a camera soon, so you guys can see my rig, hopefully within the next couple of days.

supersmashbrada said:
Thermalright v1

after a search on google, the thermalright v1, seems pretty small, mabey all the pictures i saw on google are different to your thermalright v1, but prolably not.

Please send a pic of yours (nothing suss)

Okay, I must say that its the biggest thing you can get at the moment. Because I've got exactly the same thing :D

BTW, your description of "the big steel thing" makes it sound like you're referring to your freezone, which has nothing to do with your video card.

Also, that isn't a 2x120mm radiator on the top, is it?

Btw, love your cable management, although pictures are a little blurry.

yeah I have a radiator on top of my cooler. Sorry pictures are blurry, may have to take some more at a higher resolution. Still working on better cable management as well. Its okay right now, but I still dont like how the 6 pin pwr cable for my vgas are hanging, but guess there is nothing i can do about that.

wow that is a big GPU cooler.

2 questions:
whats that thing covering your CPU?
and Where is your PSU?

That thing covering the CPU is his Freezone cooler, which IMO is decent, but better value/performing coolers can be had.

The PSU is not in the picture.

I have a silverstone tj07, its a full tower case, the hard drives and my psu's are in the bottom most bay area, I'll take a picture of it so you can see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back