Overclocking your CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

bretty

I was wondering about overclocking.
I am fairly new to it, and I have been experimenting a bit.

I cannot get a stable/consistant overclock. I strongly doubt that it is temperature related, so I was wondering about the FSB,
I have some cheaper RAM and some expensive RAM in my machine. When I overclock the FSB I get to about 1400 and it dies...I think I can get more from it.

So my question is, ca nyou overclock the CPU while leaving the FSB at 133mhz? I would like to overclock the CPU chip only, or is the only way to overclock the system bus?

Thanks.

So will this give me a higher clock ratio?

As I said earlier, I cannot have a FSB higher than around 138mhz. So I would like to have a CPU higher than 1330mhz.

Wil this make it all good? Would this be limited by the BUS though? would I see any improvement in performance?

I have the same CPU as you, and my multiplier is unlocked :confused: I just presumed this was normal....so if your motherboard can change the multiplier settings then sure, give it a go! My FSB goes up to 145, with cheap-o RAM!
Also when you are overclocking, try and raise the voltages too...this should give you a more stable system if you are overclocking!

Cucumber

I was in BIOS this morning, and I cannot find the multiplier. I though it was the Vcore?

It has options of 6.0x, and then in increments to 14.x would that be it?

Yes that's it...

multiply that by your RAM's FSB (100,133 or 166mhz) and you have the actual chip clock...

Vcore is the voltage, you will need to increase that when you overclock...

Though so will your temperatures so the chip will need proper cooling...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back