Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

joked u 2

Hey yall i got my spcs below but i am trying to over clock as much as possible, in my bios it says 5% 10% ...up to 30% if i go more than 5% my computer locks up in windows and the higher i over clock it the quicker it happins (30% just plain fails) is it my processer that just stops or windows or is there another setting in my bios that would fix this ???

k

I have 2 sticks of ram 1 is a good and expensive 512 stick and the other is cheap 256 stick of ram. if i pull out the 256 stick could that potintally fix my problem??

Proc.

joked u 2 said:
Hey yall i got my spcs below but i am trying to over clock as much as possible, in my bios it says 5% 10% ...up to 30% if i go more than 5% my computer locks up in windows and the higher i over clock it the quicker it happins (30% just plain fails) is it my processer that just stops or windows or is there another setting in my bios that would fix this ???
Are you sure your processor can take it? If it can't take it then you will obviously not be in a stable environment. Just because you can doesn't mean it'll be stable.

Yes, I reckon if you pull the 256 out it might be better.

even then, I don't think overclocking will be suitable for you. There are little real gains from overclocking, and the only reason why I overclock my comp was to squeeze some extra frames to make X3:reunion that much more playable on my 3 year old machine.

And FYI, I overclocked everything baout 25%, and all I saw was a jump from 20 fps to about 25fps (kinda makes sense).

If you really needed the extra power, (say, so that you can run oblivion) forget it. If you're looking to save time rendering stuff, might be a good idea, but if you're doing it just because you can, forget it.

those 5%,10%,etc. overclocking settings are pretty much useless because they can't lock the PCI/AGP bus.

does your BIOS have individual settings like FSB, CPU multiplier, RAM divider/ratio, VCORE, VDIMM, a PCI/AGP lock (or sync/async setting)?

:wave:

i am trying to over clock so bf2 will run better. as far as those extra settings i dont have any of them.

KingCody said:
those 5%,10%,etc. overclocking settings are pretty much useless because they can't lock the PCI/AGP bus.

does your BIOS have individual settings like FSB, CPU multiplier, RAM divider/ratio, VCORE, VDIMM, a PCI/AGP lock (or sync/async setting)?

Yea Cody hit this one. OCing without locking other buses is going to yeald little or no increase in FSB (Stable that is)

I fell for ya man. BF2 is a very demanding game, I had enough trouble with my 3ghz p4 and a Gig of RAM, you must really feeling the hurt. You may want to start saving money, and invest in a new rig. It may take some time, but it will be worth it.

Funny my specs are:

Intel celeron 2.60 GHz
nvidia geforce FX5500 PCI
External Creative sound card
766 MB RAM

without OCing and I have very little(if at all) lag problems with bf2.

sw123 said:
Funny my specs are:

Intel celeron 2.60 GHz
nvidia geforce FX5500 PCI
External Creative sound card
766 MB RAM

without OCing and I have very little(if at all) lag problems with bf2.

Well I didnt say he would have Lag, as that is more of a connection issue. What settings do you play on?

to answer all of yalls q.'s i don't lag, the video is choppy in battle scenes the audio also cuts out once in a while.
2) you have a 2.6 ghz processer. the way i am running it lately is in dioignostic mode (loads ony the basic drivers.) and it does well untill i get to a battle scene and it chops up again. i have the option to rase the voltage for the ram and cpu a bit (dont worry cooling is not a problem{i'll post pic later}) some setting at low and others off(audio[i dont load the driver in diognostic mode])vido is low to medium other stuff is at minimum.

Yeha, you should OC, but I think if you upgraded your processor to a P4, it should perform a heck lot better than it currently does. I don't really see the point in getting Celerons if you're gaming, or using any CPU intensive programs.

Or before you do that, see if you can OC your video card, it could be the bottleneck, although I don't play enough BF2 to say for sure.

Either way, if I were in your position, I'd do it. But Celerons aren't really for performance anyway, and 478 processors are dirt cheap these days.

Well, he claims its smooth enough to play.... Maybe some guys are cursed (or blessed?) to be unable to differentiate 15fps from 150fps....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back