Overheating 9800 pro? Help please. (New here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I have a oldish meshcomputer, i added ram (making 1GB) and i added a 9800 pro taken from another computer.

Specs-

P4 2.42GHZ
1GB ram (2x256 Nanya ram, 1x512mb GeIL value ram)
9800 pro 128mb
Latest (5.7) Catalyst drivers

I had an error while playing BF2, i was on a server and shadows seemed weird. I took screenshots and they came out like this:

I was told that it maybe my graphic card overheating/overclocked. But my fan is spinning (although it does sound dodgy sometimes) and i have not overclocked my card what-so ever.

I then proceeded to touch the back of my video card, it was very hot (I couldnt keep my finger there for 10 seconds).

I took the card out of A computer and it had a molex connector which was ver y difficult to take out. I managed to get it out and when i put the molex connector from my pc (i noticed the molex was sharing wires from another fan, so i presumed it could be used for my graphic card fan too) i pushed the molex it, it is 4/5 of the way in, im scared that if i push it harder i may damage the graphic card.

Anyway, I saw a Artic cooling solution, and was thinking of buying that (more money :().

Or a fan in the front of the computer, but i cant see how that can help alot.

I look forward to your suggestions.

P.S. HERE IS A PIC OF THE CARD (BOTTOM ONE)

01.jpg

the 9800's naturally run hot. as for this power connector, you said it came off a fan's circuit. some fan power connectors do not contain enough conductors or are not rated to supply current to components. make sure you're using a pass-through with 4 conductors and it isn't marked 'fan only'. same goes for the wire running back to the psu. so tell me, what brand, model, and watt-rating is your power supply.

other things to try:
-update device drivers
-update game to latest patches (if available)

have you seen this or any other troublesome behavior in any other games?

I have the VGA Silencer and it works great. Got it on Ebay for $15. Without it my 9800 ran so hot it would lock up. The power connector on mine is also difficult to plug in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back