Overheating - GF6600GT v. ATI 9600XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a nightmare time, purchased Lego Star wars for my son. Had to upgrade to the 6600GT, but constantly overheated. Upgrade PSU to 400w, tested with 3dmark, still siezed up. SHould I try to change to an ATI 9600XT. Looking at this forum it seems to have same problems?!
Could I go for an older card such as the 5200 or 9550? Will these handle Star Wars and it's pixel shading??

Advice appreciated.

What's overheating, the card, cpu, or power supply? If the card is overheating, it has issues, and should be exchanged under warranty. What temp is it or how do you know it's too hot?

I would never get a graphics board that didn't have a fan built in. That's asking for trouble.

Of course you could add a fan and heat sink to your GPU but that's more trouble than it's worth in my opinion.

All sorted

Thanks guys, it turned out it was the GF6600GT overheating. Now have an ATI 9800 pro, not quiet as zippy (for some reason the memory clock is running at 338 instaed of the speced 700), but is not overheating and is handling Lego Star Wars for my son fine.

Cheers
For the advice

Eski said:
(for some reason the memory clock is running at 338 instaed of the speced 700),

That is because the advertised speeds include the DDR memory enhancements. That number you have is the real clock speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back