Overheating Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

BryanAU

My graphics card is in my signature. I have a fan in the front of my computer, one in the back, a power supply, heatsink for my processor, fan on my gfx card, and a fan i just installed right under my gfx card to blow on it. I was just playing Guild Wars and it froze. This is not the first time this has happened. as soon as my computer froze i oepned my comuter touched my gfx card and it was really hot. With all these fans i would think that its temp would be pretty low. Whats the deal?

A hot heatsink is not always a bad thing, it means heat is getting conducted. If it was cold I would be worried.

That being said it does not mean that it cant be the card overheating, that is just something to consider.

You may want to try and see what the card temp is. I always have used speedfan to check the temps of my x800. You can find speedfan here I am sure there are other utilities but I have always used speedfan.

There may be other issues at the root of the problem.

A failing Power supply may be one of them.
The game could be causing issues as well (most likely not the case however)

But first we need to eliminate the heat as an issue. I recommend using ATiTool to test the card for artifacting. Run the utility and see if you lock up. If so heat or a dying card are very likely the cause of your problem. And it will also help eliminate the game. You can find ATiTool here

Best of luck
Sean

Okay so i installed both programs. Seems like the fans are alright. When I maxed the core and memory with the ATITool, and it crashed with both.

MAX CORE
"Crash because of too high overclock? Last working frequency was: Core 428.63MHz - Memory 492.75MHz

MAX MEMORY
"Crash because of too high overclocking? Last working frequency was: Core 398.25MHz - Memory 523.13MHz.

It froze twice in the past hour. Once i was just sitting here(before programs were downlaoded) and it just froze(no game open). And it just froze when i rebooted right away. I don't get it.

Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back