Overheating pentium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys this is my first thread so go easy I currently own a Pentium 4 3ghz pc. With a X1950pro graphics card and 2gb of ram my power supply is 480 watts with 3 internal fans. My problem is that when I play my flight simulator my computer has started to switch off no blue screens ect it justs switches off then in 5 mins I have been able to turn it on again. I have looked at the health check in the bios at start up and when it had turned off it read that the cpu was 93 is this very bad. I have my pc against a wall and the heat can only disipate out the left side of the case this is because i am in a confined space. Is it worth getting a liquid cooler although i do not know what i am doing. any help would be much appreciated
cheers FLYINGBART

That is too hot.

Now, depending on what P4 type you have, it may or may not have a throttling capability - can you download and run Everest and then look under Computer, Overclock and see the specifics of your cpu and tekk us?

The throttling, if available, can be turned on/off in bios.

edit: btw, if you haven't fried your cpu yet, you will soon at that temp. If you aren't computer savy and don't have a friend that is, time for a heatsink check at a shop.

Hi CCT here are my specs looking under Overclock sorry if there is a lot of information I do not understand which part you need.
cheers.

--------[ EVEREST Ultimate Edition ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v4.00.976
Benchmark Module 2.1.184.0
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer XANTA
Generator glynn
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2007-04-24
Time 18:26

--------[ Overclock ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Properties:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4
CPU Alias Prescott
CPU Stepping E0
Engineering Sample No
CPUID CPU Name Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
CPUID Revision 00000F41h

CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 3014.5 MHz (original: 3000 MHz)
CPU Multiplier 15.0x
CPU FSB 201.0 MHz (original: 200 MHz)
Memory Bus 201.0 MHz
DRAM:FSB Ratio 1:1

CPU Cache:
L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
L1 Data Cache 16 KB
L2 Cache 1 MB (On-Die, ECC, ATC, Full-Speed)

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 09/09/2004-i848P-6A79XG07C-00
Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-8I848P-G (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DDR DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)

Chipset Properties:
Motherboard Chipset Intel Breeds Hill i848P
Memory Timings 3-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
PAT Disabled

SPD Memory Modules:
DIMM1: Kingston K 1 GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz) (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-2-2-6 @ 133 MHz)
DIMM2: Kingston K 1 GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz) (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-2-2-6 @ 133 MHz)

BIOS Properties:
System BIOS Date 09/09/04
Video BIOS Date 11/09/06
Award BIOS Type Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Award BIOS Message Intel 848P AGPSet BIOS for 8I848P-G F4
DMI BIOS Version F4

Graphics Processor Properties:
Video Adapter ATI Radeon X1950 Pro (RV570)
GPU Code Name RV570 (AGP 8x 1002 / 7280, Rev 00)
GPU Clock 574 MHz (original: 575 MHz)
Memory Clock 688 MHz (original: 693 MHz)

Hi CCT I have just given my computer a good clean out the cpu was full of dust. on the speed fan test I am getting these readings ACPI temp 21.8c
HDO is 34c
HD1 is 35c
HD2 is 32c
are these tempretures ok because my bios may read different i dont know Could it be i just needed to give the cpu a good clean and these are right.
cheers FLYINGBART

That is a Prescott 530 and, if your mobo supports it, will have a bios setting to enable thermal throttling.

The stock heatsinks on the Prescotts are notorious for being lousy coolers. They don't fasten tight and have a habit of popping out a leg from the mobo (the cpu will then often run 10-15 degrees C higher at idle and hit the top end throttle temps at loads beyond about 60% cpu duty.

Applying a good quality paste (after cleaning the cpu and heatsink) sometimes helps BUT the darned heatsinks are HARD to get seated correctly AND you MUST be careful applying the paste.

Those temps you showed are for the Hard Drives I think (HD). Look in Everest under 'sensor'.

:)

Hi CCT Sorry about the hard drive temps here is the current cpu temp and I am running flight simulator at that 33 c.
Do you think its worth investing in one of those water coolers and if so which would be any good if i have already put some paste on the heatsink already.
cheers

33C=91.4F are you sure you are consistent with what temperature scale you are using?

You'd need the whole heatsink to be covered in dust to get a huge drop from 93C to 33C, and even then I doubt you'd get it that hot if the fan was still going. A temp of 93 with a clean heatsink and working fan would indicate to me that the heatsink isn't making solid contact with the processor.

There is no reason for you to consider water cooling, it is way beyond necessary for a stock speed system. Air cooling is completely sufficient, if it wasn't everyone would be running watercooling, even the Dells and Gateways of the world.

Thanks guys for your information i must have read 93 degrees farenheit in the bios but saying that my flight simulator is now running smoother and is not switching the computer off anymore. the clean up must have done it good.
cheers FYINGBART

For what it's worth......

You might want to consider stepping up to one of the better aftermarket (air) coolers, if only for the piece of mind it might bring. "Artic Freezer Pro", "Zalman C7700 series", and theThermaltake "Big Typhoon", are some popular choices. You probably don't have to, but for heavy gaming it could help a bunch.

Thanks captaincranky for your advise i have been looking at the Thermaltake bigtyp 120 for my 478 socket it looks awsome i think im gonna get one. Ive just got to check the dimensions of me case.
cheers FLYINGBARTDUDE

A Big Typhoon for a socket 478 sounds like overkill to me....

If you're not going to overclock, you don't need anything close to that size....

I offer this as moral support......

CMH said:
A Big Typhoon for a socket 478 sounds like overkill to me....

If you're not going to overclock, you don't need anything close to that size....

That "Big Typhoon" will someday alas (as with all of our things), become part of an estate. The good news here is meanwhile you can take it with you!

Much has been said here about thermal cycling. In part by people who don't pay the their electric bill themselves. Just leave the computer run 24/7, it's better for it.

Whether this is fact or superstition I'm not sure but, it seems to me that if you reduce the amount of thermal cycling, you might reduce the intensity of it's effects as well. Assuming you're not running your box at the south pole, you can't run it too cool. Ya gotta admit the the Thermaltake cooler would be mostly "future proof". (Obviously within the limits of socket type). It does fit all current sockets and it's ON SALE! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106061 Huy, soy el diablo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back