Overheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agi_shi

What happens if you overheat your graphics card? Will it shutdown or do you simply fry it the second it gets too hot?

I wanna try some hardware-accelerated stuff in linux, and since my card is stuck at 5% (unless changed with a program, WHICH DOESNT EXIST FOR LINUX, lol) fan speed it might overheat. And I dont want to fry it.

For reference, it's a Sapphire X850XT.

It is most likely to cras the pc than anything. Servicing your graphics card before overclocking it may be a good idea, make sure that the heatsink and fan are free of dust and that the thermal paste between the gpu and the heatsink hasn't dried out, if it has, replace it!!!!

Adding a bay cooler may be a good idea too, they are cheap and effective, but remember they only suck air out, not in, so don't place one by the gpu fan but place it above the graphics card if its possible!!!

Hi agi_shi,

I have too a Sapphire X850 card. Mine is set to 5% fan too, but I can still game without problems when I forget to increase the fan's speed. Do you have the stock cooler?
I used it only one time, and the fan was set @ 5%, and I played BF2 without a problem. It was running @ 65 °C, but that's not a problem for the toasty R480 core.

If you have a Silencer 5, then you'll have no problems. It's such a great, QUIET, and efficient cooler.... But if not, don't worry, you shouldn't fry your card.

Regards :wave:

@ Rik - thanks, It probably wouldn't immedietly fry.... It's only a month old, no dust in it. And I'm not overclocking - it's just that the fan stays at 5% UNLESS I change it. Even when there is intensive sutff.

@ Wolfram - The R480 core is supposed to go up to 92C or something.... Very high. You must have a cool room, then. Once I literally turned the fan off and tried out a [relatively simple] opengl demo.... hit the 70s.... Given the fan will be at 5% and I only got to 70, yeah I'll probably be ok. Most reviews actually left the fan at 5% ("the card is a very queit solution, leaving the fan at only 5%. we did not have any problems though, as we had a well-ventilated system").... Yeah, my system is very well ventilated, so I'll be ok.

@ zazazoom - I would use ATITool/ATT, but they don't exist for linux.

zazazoom said:
can't you guys up the speed in your fans? or use ATITOOL to do it?

Yes, we do, we use ATI Tool for that ;)

Agi-shi said:
The R480 core is supposed to go up to 92C or something.... Very high. You must have a cool room, then. Once I literally turned the fan off and tried out a [relatively simple] opengl demo.... hit the 70s.... Given the fan will be at 5% and I only got to 70, yeah I'll probably be ok. Most reviews actually left the fan at 5% ("the card is a very queit solution, leaving the fan at only 5%. we did not have any problems though, as we had a well-ventilated system").... Yeah, my system is very well ventilated, so I'll be ok.

Me too. I have a well ventilated case, that's why I didn't have any problem with BF2 and my stock cooler.
If you have a Silencer 5, you'll be completely safe. I'm running the Silencer's fan @ 5%, and it´s running at 39°C :)

I'm pretty sure you'll be completely safe, so go ahead with your harware accelerated stuff ;)

yo wolf is there a reason besides it being loud...you keep the fan at 5%? i mean i keep my zalman full blast with clocks of 560/1160 >_< lol stupid cpu bottlenecks my card like a *****!

I currently have my silencer 5 to 5%, because the GPU is running very cool right now (38° C), so there's no need to keep it at 100% all the time.

But when I start a game, I return it to 100%, and I can't even hear it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back