Overlocking my Amd64, fsb @ 214 crashed

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamingguy27

Hello,

I think this is a CPU voltage problem, I overclocked my Amd64 using Clockgen. I took the FSB upto 214MHZ giving me an increase of 2.4GHZ -> 2.6GHZ. AGP and PCI locks were on, I didnt change the multiplier as 14 mhz is nothing really. I've already taken my HTT down and my multiplier was still on default 11.5x.

Oh yeah, it crashed after Prime95 had finished a test and said:
"FATAL ERROR: Resulting sum was 3.536891072751604e+016, expected: 3.536891073171235e+016".

When I say crashed, I mean the screen went blank but everything was still on (eg fans), it worked fine after a restart.

Any help as this is my first oc on a cpu!

Cheers all,

Alex.

My Specs:
SKT 754 3400+ Amd64 with Freezer 64 Pro (highest load temp 45C)
1.5Gb (1x1GB + 1x512MB both crucial CL3 @ DDR400)
Abit NF8-V
Hiper 480W (34A 12V+)

You have no clue as to what you're doing then if are overclocking in windows.

google can be only of futher assistance. I don't recommended you overclocking if you are not 100% no 110% sure of what you are doing.

Like I said before google and can find out alot

Best of Luck

and to answer you're qestion on to why it turned off because you don't have the program running.

Note: Never overclock in windows. That's what bios is for.

Cheers man

Ok, I am a newbie at overclocking Amd64's but as long as I keep my PCI and AGP lock on and dont change the voltage whats the worst that could happen?

I know people blow there cpus by increasing there vcore, but if I stick to the soft stuff will I be ok?

Alex

your computer will blow up and cause a huge fire in your home, and maybe kill you in the process, thats probably the worst thing that can happen.

Probably hardly any chance of that happening, but you asked for the worst.

I'm not liking the sound of overclocking a the mo... but seriously I have researched quite a bit into the whole ocing but the reason I asked about the windows ocing tool as it was reccomended by another forum...

So your saying I should stick to pure BIOS ocing?

Alex (cheers for the help dude)

Yes of course, however I don't think I've found a way to OC the GPU from Bios yet....

Its just about 99% harmless if you don't increase voltages, but there are some chips that just won't take it.

But it also stresses out the other components, and those components might run into trouble.

But for me, the biggest drawback about overclocking is the potential instability. The last thing I want is the comp crashing on me just before I save on 1 hours work :p. But I do it anyway, so that says quite alot.

You need to lower the Hypertransport multiplier to 4(800mhz) and the memory divider to 5:4(166mhz or DDR 333). Your memory is probably stoping you now. A64 tweeker can do the memory divider and timings in Windows, HT multiplyer is in the bios.

You seen the worst that happens really--It Crashes! Well it could corrupt Windows, but a simple FIXBOOT command in the recovery console fixes it most times. So I guess a reinstall is about the worst. System failure is not very likely.

Hello

Hello agian,

Latest results; CPU 2.41 -> 2.58 (now beats the FX55), but there is a hitch.

The cpu is at 215 again, as when its set to 220 windows gives me a bsod... I have also tried the DRAM at 166 and 200 stable at both...

Im thinking more voltage is needed... but that scares me a tad.

Anyways any more advice would be be brill!

Also please find my results attached :)

Alex

Attachments

• ocing_2410-2583.JPG
    ocing_2410-2583.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 5
Voltage

Hello,

The CPU was shown unstable at 215FSB, so I took your advice and raised the voltage a tad its now stable at 215.

I did try windows again at 220 with the new raised voltage and this time it got to the user logon screen, then froze. So more voltage needed I guess.

Alex.

*UPDATE*

Erm, well I raised the voltage, from 1.52 (stable @215) to 1.54V @ 218. I keep on getting en error message in Prime95 after about 10 mins.

More voltage!?!? hope not!

This is a fun process, but im not sure how to interpret the results.

Oh and also, for some reason, my generous power supply gives my core more than it needs for example, when my BIOS vcore was @1.5 the acctual reading in windows was 1.55V. Same as when I set the voltage to 1.54V windows said 1.6V.

I suggest a little more voltage on the ram. 0.1-0.2V increase in VDimm helps alot.

Not sure if your RAM can handle it, I know my Corsair runs beautifully on +0.2V VDimm.

Ram

Cheers for the help,

Bearing in mind that my DDR is set to 166Mhz, at 2.5-3-3-6, running at about 177Mhz.

So my ram is currently underclocked, are we sure giving it more voltage will help? Current voltage is 2.60V...

Cheers, Alex.

Hmm.... Maybe your processor can't go any higher.

I really suggest reducing the multiplier, you'll get better performance from a higher HTT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back