P/C Freeze-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, and Happy Holidays to all from a first-timer:

I have a situation whereby my homebuilt P/C will randomly freeze solid whenever I am doing either video capture or video processing.
The video capture/processing software is ADOBE PREMIER ELEMENTS 2.0
I am running XP Professional S/P-1
It runs rock solid the rest of the time.
The mobo is a Soyo P4x400-Ultra, the chip is a P-4/2.4, the graphic board is an AGP NVidia GeForce-5500.
Nothing is overclocked or over-voltaged.
There is 2.0GB of RAM. 2@ 512mb, and 1@1.0mb
The P/S is a Thermaltake 600W.
There is a Master 200GB for the OS only, and 200GB slave on IDE 0, and two DVD R/W drives on IDE-1.
There are two more H/D's on a PCI AT-133 adaptor card.
The video capture device is a standalone ADS PYRO A/V Link. It is connected to a 1394 a/b firewire PCI riser.
There is a WinTV-Go model 190 tuner card in a PCI slot.
There is a external USB connected hard drive that is mostly blank, and is used only for temp video file processing.
I can ease the situation aomewhat by booting selective startup with all items deactivated. Also the freezeups diminish if I deactivate the graphics board, it shares an IRQ (16) with the the onboard sound card.
I know the RAM configuration is not the best but I still have the problem with either the two 512 sticks, or the 1.0G stick removed.
I would like to see if the onboard sound card IRQ could be changed so as not to be shared with the AGP slot.
Any body got any ideas???
Thank you for any replies.
Art.

I would change immediately by installing Service Pack 2... obtaining it from Microsoft on disc... then take most of the other downloads.
Your equipment is good, but not all of it plays nice with Service Pack 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back