P2 to P3 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyleman

Ok my build in my room at the moment has..

CPU Type: Intel Pentium II, 266 MHz (4 x 67)
Motherboard Name: Intel Atlanta AL440LX (2 ISA, 4 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
Motherboard Chipset: Intel 82440LX
System Memory: 320 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type: Phoenix (04/28/98)
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

Basically I wanted something I could watch movies and just a few games on but even with the geforce 2 with latest drivers the video runs pretty bad. Im sure its just because the cpu isnt all that flash. So I got a P3(slot1) off my cousin but when i swap it for the p2 and boot it up, everything is running but nothing happens on the screen.
Its either the cpu is dead or my motherboard cant take it.
Any solutions.
Oh and if anyone would know where i could get the latest drivers for my mobo and step by step how to put them on that would be much appreciated.
Cheers

It is going back awhile since I messed with PII and PIII chips, but I think this mix is not going to work; you need a PIII chip for that board.
Most board drivers can be downloaded from the manufacturers website so you need to visit to see if they are available.

Ok thanks. I think ill just buy another motherboard(agp compatible).
Got any good deals? lol

You need to check your power supply (PSU) connections as well - the ATX PSU now has additional connections for current motherboards that might not be present on the old PSU - for example the 24 pin and 4 pin connector blocks.
Your old memory is unlikely to work either.
At some point it would be easier to chuck the old one and start from scratch, retaining only things like drives. You will have to reinstall your windows as well.
Sorry!

Nah my psu's are new they have the 4 pin add on :D
And ive got both ddr and sdram so thats not a problem.
Problem really is money.
At the moment im really just looking into a new cheap mobo.

dunno what you can get in Oz but I prefer Asus boards for price + bells & whistles. You must have some mail order suppliers where you can get these things cheaper than a PC shop?

nah havnt heard of them
Ill check them out though
Cheers big fella.
Ebay has treated me alright. i picked up 2 400watt atx psus for $15 :O
not bad hey lol
Ive found a few things but im not really sure what im looking at
I wouldnt mind a nice p4 mobo and cpu either if i can find one.
Basically it just needs an agp slot, ddr or sdram compatible and run fine..maybe play a few games on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back