P2P downloads drop considerably

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
NPD tracks consumer file-sharing activity. It calculated that 14.5 million US households downloaded music files in April. In May the figure fell to 12.7 million, and dropped to 10.4 million in June, the company said today.

First idea that comes to mind is that RIAA campaign targeting swappers is working, although some say it could be paid services such as iTunes and BuyMusic grabbing a percentage of the music being downloaded, I see that possibility as unlikely.

On a related note, an anonymous California computer user went to court Thursday to challenge the recording industry's file-trading subpoenas, charging that they are unconstitutional and violate her right to privacy.

I've noticed a great number of bittorrent sites down.

I've also noticed a number of IRC file search engine sites down.

I think that that accounts for it.

But this is just a temporary trend. Give the boffins time to come up with something new to defeat this (like a bittorrent search program, or something) and we will be away again!

Yes, it is only a matter of time before something new comes out that will allow users to do this without worrying about the RIAA as much. It is just like anything else, once something new comes out, it is only a matter of time before it is cracked or something of the same sort.

I do not use these networks that much, but have heard friends complaining about there not being as many people sharing files anymore.

I know the reason to the downfall. Alot of music is bugged from CDs that came out this july and foreward or even earlier. The song plays for the first 10-15 seconds and then it scrambles. It's a new copy protection scheme.

Originally posted by TS | Julio

On a related note, an anonymous California computer user went to court Thursday to challenge the recording industry's file-trading subpoenas, charging that they are unconstitutional and violate her right to privacy.

Go girl :D!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back