P4 1.6ghz cpu damaged during removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I recently removed a pentium 4 1.6ghz processor from my mother board. While trying to remove the heat sink from the processor, the square metal back of the processor became seperated from the circuit board part that has the pins. Can this metal back be reattached or is the processor useless now? It appears that it was attached with some kind of adhesive. None of the pins were damaged during the process. Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated as I hate to throw it away if I don't have to.

Thanks.

It would be best of you could find some adhesive and reattach the heat spreader, assuming of course that you're going to reuse the processor. Some glues conduct electricity so be careful what you use and where you put it. Can you take a picture of the separated heat spreader and processor? I'd like to see what you have.

I've never heard of this happening? Someone use the wrong type of thermal paste? I do suspect that the processor is trashed

I've had heaps of S478's pull out of the Zif socket when removing the Heatsink - I think the standard "waxy" thermal stuff sets like glue after a few years of heat.

Never ripped the top off though!

Hopefully it's not damaged, but it shouldn't be too hard to replace, a lot of Motherboards from that era seem to be failing, so used CPU's shouldn't be a problem to find. I have 3 here, 1.7, 1.8 & 2.0 - all from the last 6 weeks!

Cinders said:
It would be best of you could find some adhesive and reattach the heat spreader, assuming of course that you're going to reuse the processor. Some glues conduct electricity so be careful what you use and where you put it. Can you take a picture of the separated heat spreader and processor? I'd like to see what you have.

Here are some pictures of the P4 chip. They are a little blurry but maybe you can see the situation. I think the thin row of black around the edges was the adhesive that held it together. There are two photos. One of the back side and one of the front side. Any suggestions on the type of adhesive I could use to put it back together?

Attachments

• HPIM1998.JPG
    HPIM1998.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 17
  • HPIM2000.JPG
    HPIM2000.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 15
i did that to one of my P4 chips a week ago I wouldnt recomend this unless you are out of ideas but i just put mine back together and it worked fine, actualy it stays cooler <--go figure hah

I was looking at the photos. Is the thin black line around the outer edges of the metal back basically a gasket? And if that is the case, would I put the adhesive in the center area, since it appears that the center area is where it actually makes contact with the back of the cpu?

Tmagic650 said:
You might try to use some thermal adhesive to reattach the top
I'm not sure what thermal adhesive is. Is there a brand name you would recommend or would super glue work? Also, where might I be able to purchase this adhesive. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back