P4 1.8ghz socket 423/ overclock limits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P4 1.8ghz socket 423/ overclock how much?

hey guys,

i've been real cautious of oC'ing my P4/ whats the mulitplier? 18 i think.....and the core voltage? default is 1.75. How much more voltage can i run to the chip? 1.8v? any informatio would help! have a nice weekend all..!!!!

Kenshin
:grinthumb

The Socket423 P4 was based off the Willamete core, which means 100FSB thus the multiplier is indeed 18.

As far as overclocking, I'm not sure it can go very high. It uses the 0.18 manufaturing process so it must generate quite an amount of heat as it is.

Try upping the FSB, 1 mhz at a time & do a stability test every time. Each FSB bump in 1mhz will result in 18mhz increase in your CPU speed.

We could probably show some links showing that CPU running at incredible speeds but each CPU is different & does not have the same OCing potential.

Like I said, take it one step at a time & see what you can get from it.

As for the voltage, I'm not really sure. Try OCing without changing the voltage. If the system isn't very stable, try upping the voltage step by step. If it still isn't stable, you might as well give up completely.

PS. I hope you have some good quality RAM. OCing by FSB also OCs the RAM ( & also modifyes the AGP & PCI speeds unless your BOARD can lock those values).

Good Luck :grinthumb

Originally posted by merciless
i am running a 1.8a and it,s o/clocked to 2.4 on a 135 fsb
this is on a th711-11 mobo and vapourchilled

The problem is he has the Willamete version not the Northwood such as you. He hasn't posted since so I hope this is not another Overclocking experiment gone wrong.;)

well i got it up to 2.2ghz, but wasn't stable.....i don't have the greatest cooling setup in my rig......2.0ghz runs stable though....but yea, its socket 423 not the 478 northwood so OC'ing more then 2.2 is kinda far fetched i see...2.0 ghz is good enough for me....thanks for the info guys....

I'm using 1.8ghz Willamette 423 too... I've always wanted to overclock it but I can't find any resources for overclocking. There isn't any option to change the FSB too in my ECS P4ITA2 motherboard... means I can't overclock?

ECS boards rarely have OCing options because they are aimed at the OEM market. They're cheap, stable & no thrills boards.

Their new cards, such as the one based on the SiS745 chipset are starting to have certain OC options in the BIOS ( VCore, Dimm voltage, etc... ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back