P4 2.6c overclocked to 2.84

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabenfox

hey all. I Got all the stuff in the mail for overclocking my computer about a week ago. I was overclocking it and got it up to 3.1gigz.

After i hit that point i let windows load and ran 3dmark2001se.
While it was running the video was flashing in and out, then it crashed to the desktop, then about a second later the whole computer restarted.

So now my overclocking is limited thanks to my video card. The most stable setting i've gotten it at is the 2.8. I noticed that there was an option in my bios to increase the agp voltage by +.1 and +.2 and was wondering how that would affect my video card. It says that it can damage it which isn't suprising, but i was wondering what you guys think i should do

should i overclock the video card by .1 and hope to get high overclocking or should i just buy a whole different video card. I really don't want to spend any more money but if i have to i will.

Btw my system temperature is 28 to 30c idle running at 2.8

My specs are below

P4 2.6c overclocked to 2.84
512 megs of pc4000 OCZ
soundblaster live
Geforce4 TI4200 (128 meg 4xagp)
Giga-byte 8vt800L mobo
Realtek nic

Thanks !

I don't think you wanna increase the voltage to the AGP, that might really make things unstable. Try raising the vdimm, or memory voltage. That OCZ can handle it. I've found with the OC'ing, that the ram is what has the most effect with a stable system, and you have to pour the juice to the dimms...

BTW, with the system you have in your sig, the video card is gonna be the bottleneck. Still a good gaming card, but if you want the big benchmark scores, you'll have to upgrade...

Good luck....

I don't think you wanna increase the voltage to the AGP, that might really make things unstable. Try raising the vdimm, or memory voltage. That OCZ can handle it. I've found with the OC'ing, that the ram is what has the most effect with a stable system, and you have to pour the juice to the dimms...

BTW, with the system you have in your sig, the video card is gonna be the bottleneck. Still a good gaming card, but if you want the big benchmark scores, you'll have to upgrade...

Good luck....

Hey, you said trying to raise the vdimm or memory voltage, but that's not the problem i'm having, it's the video card that's making the computer unstable and crashing.
I'm trying to find a way around that problem. The memory i have is actually underclocked right now and would be running at it's true speed if i can get the damn video card to become stable :p

When you OC, you are doing the whole system, not just the video card. The reboot you got in 3DMark was probably due to an OC that the NB couldn't handle, that's why I suggested raising the voltage to the ram. Just a few suggestions, make sure the agp/pci is locked at 66/33 if the Bios allows. Check and see if you have the latest 4in1's from VIA. You might want to check the Bios and see if you can run the CPU and memory async, mine has options for 400, 333, and 266mhz. I have to run 333 to keep the AGP stable. To high an OC at 400mhz, and 3DMark would reboot the system like yours did.

It could be the video card, but it is more likely some other setting that's not quite right...

Later....

When overlcoking a P4 system, 2 things that will be the limiting factor.

Either the CPU or the RAM.....

Try this..

Lower you memory divider to the LOWEST possible setting
Leave you CPU voltage at stock.
Start raising that FSB by a about 5MHZ at a time, run some tests like 3DM01, SiSoft SAndra, etc. etc.

Once you find the CPU limit, then move on to the RAM.

Your RAM will need the MAXIMUM VOLTAGE (up tp 2.9v) to reach the clockspeeds you need. So raise that RAM voltage, and up that memory divider to a 1/1 RATIO, and begin raising the FSB again by about 5 MHZ at a time until you find the MAX of the RAM....be ready to clear CMOS a few times in case you go to far;)

You 2.6 ought to get *much* better overclock than 2.84...

me thinks the RAM is undervolted.....

(and idle temp's don't mean much, it's temp under 100% load that's important....Don't go over 50C)

On a side note, increasing AGP voltage will do nothing to help you overclock you GPU....might help w/ stability if your mobo is out of speck in suplying the AGP port with the proper voltage, but thaqt's about it.....

i heard that overclocking your systems fsb can make your system raise the agp bus as well, so i assumed that i was my video card that couldn't handle the overclock. However i will try and get my comp to 3.1 again and raise my ram voltage and see if i can get it stable. Thanks Preserved Swine and farmer ! :cool:

Originally posted by sabenfox
i heard that overclocking your systems fsb can make your system raise the agp bus as well, so i assumed that i was my video card that couldn't handle the overclock. However i will try and get my comp to 3.1 again and raise my ram voltage and see if i can get it stable. Thanks Preserved Swine and farmer ! :cool:

Oh yes, LOCK THE AGP/PCI BUS at 66MHZ!!!:D

My system is stable at 2.95Ghz and I have PC3200 OCZ RAM and a P4 2.4C.

It's not your video card. My memory is at 2.85v and the ratio is 5:4 (320Mhz).

Then again, I didn't lock the AGP bus when it was at 3.01Ghz so maybe that's why it crashed in WarCraft III. :D

Gotta check it later today. I'm going to lock it at 66Mhz and up the FSB to 250Mhz.

PS This should go into the Cooling & Modding forum. :grinthumb

I recently returned my 2.4 Celeron and 512 meg of Kingston ram from 3ghz. FSB set at 125mhz,Pc-2100 running at 333mhz.To stock speeds.
Tt Ram coolers,Tt Giant II cooling a GForce4 MX440 64meg 8X Card. Bottleneckt at 4X :(, changing the voltage did absolutly nothing, locking the AGP bus was not an option in BIOS. to sum it all up. i ran my PC at 3.0Ghz for a week doing as i normally would playing Unreal III and normal tasks. Ran very stable.

3DMark2001 got to 5970.
Max CPU Temp got to 47 degrees rite after playing Unreal for about an hour.

the main thing to do is make sure everything stays cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back