P4 3.06Ghz with Hyperthreading in a Shuttle Barebones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a Slix (basicly a Shuttle XPC FS51 until Creative got hold of it, Fu**ed it up and then slaped thier name on it ;)

So anyway, used to run a P4 2.4Ghz (533MHz Version) and it rocked (with enough help from my ATI Radeon 9700 Pro) - I was getting like 4800 - 4900 3DMARK03 Marks (Now known as "FUTUREMARK")..

put the new P4 3.06Ghz cpu in thier and she don't wanna know!! Not even worth benchin! SiSoft Sandra 2003 recons i might as well have a one Gig CPU in there!!

I guessed the Shuttle barebones didn't support the new CPU so i downloaded a BIOS update from the SiS website... It comes in an .exe format which was weired coz i am more familiar with the old Award .bin process (having always had Abit high-end Boards).. I guess i just need to boot into DOS mode and execute the file and it will do the rest..

Problem is, i can't boot into dos as i don't have a floppy drive and I am running NTFS partition so can't use the Win98 Boot disk..
I made a bootable CDROM in NERO and popped on the BIOS update file.. When i get to DOS, i dont have a C: coz i'm Running NTFS format so the hard drive isnt detected, so i don't have anything for it to write to.. i have put a copy of the BIOS update file on my C: so if i could ever get to see the Hard Drive on C: in DOS mode i could simply execute it...

any of you guys got any ideas of how to get around it?

Cheers

Andy

BTW - LAN Gaming Sesh at the weekend so a quick fix would rock! ;)

I believe that Award BIOS is still in .bin format, and the exe file is the flash ultiliy. Perhaps the bios was not fully downloaded.

This link might help you though its an MSI link, it teaches you how to flash on non-FAT32 systems.

good answer :)

and ya..the .exe you have is probably a self extracting .exe merely containing the file(s) u need.

obviously the first thing i did after downloading the file was to execute it just while it's on the desktop, as there were no instructions with the file to say how it was packaged... I am familiar with the self Extracting Executable files you are refering to , and these are not those ;)

Cheers anyway, anyone else?

And

Thats pretty weird, is your motherboard a Shuttle brand with a SiS chipset, have you tried downloading another version from the manufacturers(Shuttle or Creative?) website instead of from SiS website. I don't go to chipset manufacturers to download bios, i get them from the mobo manufacturer's site.

it seems the fs51s038.exe is the only one available. i have tried to use a different version but they are all the same...

downloaded that boot disk file from the site that was suggested.. the exe program looks for a floppy drive to write the 'boot disk' file too... so, with no floppy, thats no good...

So crap man, why can't you just hold Shift & F5 while booting to start in DOS mode.. Pretty simple really you would of thought that Microsoft would have thought of it...

Cheers

Andy

If you can make a bootable CD then why do you not just put the file on the CD? It's not that hard. Or if you have a windows98 CD, you can boot from that, then put in a CD that you burned the EXE to and run it off that. You don't *need* a hard drive to flash a bios, you don't need to access it at all, if the file is on the CD.

I'd never flash off a floppy anyways.

Windows 98 CD's are NOT bootable.

Why don't you just put the file in the C: root and then press F8 during startup and select boot to command prompt (something like that - can't remember exact wording). Then you'll still be able to see your NTFS partition and run the file.

Or, try this windows utility for updating Award bioses ...

WinFlash - Award Bios Flashing Utility

Use it to save your current bios first (see menu options), just to check that it works correctly.

Originally posted by Nic
Windows 98 CD's are NOT bootable.

Why don't you just put the file in the C: root and then press F8 during startup and select boot to command prompt (something like that - can't remember exact wording). Then you'll still be able to see your NTFS partition and run the file.

Or, try this windows utility for updating Award bioses ...

WinFlash - Award Bios Flashing Utility

Use it to save your current bios first (see menu options), just to check that it works correctly.

1) 100% wrong. Win95OSR2, Win98, Win98SE, WinME, and other Windows OEM discs are bootable. They always have been. Unless you pirated your disc, or is propietary (ala a compaq edition) it is bootable. Period. I have no idea where you heard otherwise, but you are wrong.

2) You cannot open a command prompt by using F8 during startup in windows XP or 2000. The recovery console that can be activated via setup or disk will not execute programs. The closest you have is "Safe mode with command prompt" which is really just safe mode that doesn't launch EXPLORER and instead launches CMD. Which is pointless to begin with if you are going to flash your bios.

Originally posted by Soul Harvester ...
1) 100% wrong. Win95OSR2, Win98, Win98SE, WinME, and other Windows OEM discs are bootable. They always have been. Unless you pirated your disc, or is propietary (ala a compaq edition) it is bootable. Period. I have no idea where you heard otherwise, but you are wrong.

2) You cannot open a command prompt by using F8 during startup in windows XP or 2000. The recovery console that can be activated via setup or disk will not execute programs. The closest you have is "Safe mode with command prompt" which is really just safe mode that doesn't launch EXPLORER and instead launches CMD. Which is pointless to begin with if you are going to flash your bios.
1)

Windows 98 Editions

Quote ...

Windows 98 Second Edition
Version : 4.10.2222A
Time Stamp : 4-23-99 10:22 PM
Type : Full-Retail

-Does not run the compliance check for previous OS
-Is NOT a bootable cd-rom
-WILL install and upgrade over a previously installed OS
-Comes packaged with System StartUp diskette

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

How to Install Windows 98 on a Computer with No Operating System - Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 221829

Quote (Microsoft's own installation instructions) ...

How to Install Windows 98:

After you partition and format your hard disk, you can install Windows 98:

1. Insert the Windows 98 Startup disk in the floppy disk drive, and then restart your computer.

2. When the Windows 98 Startup menu is displayed, choose the Start computer with CD-ROM support option, and then press ENTER.

3. If CD-ROM support is provided by the generic drivers on the Startup disk, you receive one of the following messages, where X is the drive letter that is assigned to your CD-ROM drive:

Drive X: = Driver MSCD001

Drive X: = Driver OEMCD001

NOTE: If your CD-ROM drive is not available after you boot from the Windows 98 Startup disk, install the CD-ROM drivers that are included with your CD-ROM drive. For information about how to obtain and install the most current driver for your CD-ROM drive, view the documentation that is included with your device, or contact your hardware manufacturer.

4. Insert the Windows 98 CD-ROM in the CD-ROM drive, type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER

X:\setup
where X is the drive letter that is assigned to your CD-ROM drive.

5. When you receive the following message, press ENTER, and then follow the instructions on the screen to complete the Setup procedure:

Please wait while the Setup initializes. Setup is now going to perform a routine check on your system. To continue press Enter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as I am aware only Windows 2000 and Windows XP have bootable CDs. Thats why Windows 98 comes with a 'startup floppy', whereas Windows 2000 and Windows XP don't.

If anyone knows different, then perhaps you can sent me a copy of the boot image from the CD, or provide a suitable link that confirms this. None of the Windows 98, or Windows ME, CDs I've ever come across are bootable.

2) Safe mode with command prompt - yes that's what I mean't, though I've never used this mode to flash a bios before. You can run executables so it may work. If not then the WinFlash utility works from within windows, so problem solved.

Follow the site the guy you referenced got his info from. It doesn't exist. Even if it did exist it is very wrong. You can boot from a retail Win98 CD. I promise you, I did it for years.

P.S. - A retail copy of Windows 2000 Server comes with boot CDs and I can promise you that the CD is bootable too!

LNCPapa

Every windows 98 cd that I've ever used or seen used that was not pirated has been bootable.

same here sngx, and that has been a lot of discs. Win95 OSR2 or 2.5 and higher are all bootable unless maybe it has a defect or it is pirated maybe.

Originally posted by Soul Harvester

Not all 95 or 98 discs are bootable. It is true that many are, but I have a 98 First Edition and a 95OSr2 OEM here that are obviously not bootable.

They do exist, and I'm sure most if not all of the "newer" discs are bootable, but there are many OEM and retail discs that are NOT.

Originally posted by Rick
Not all 95 or 98 discs are bootable. It is true that many are, but I have a 98 First Edition and a 95OSr2 OEM here that are obviously not bootable.

Ah ok. I have a 95OSR2 disc that *is* bootable, so I assumed all OEM versions were. I know the early win95 discs weren't.

The point is, Nic, MOST OEM discs are bootable, and 98se+ and above are definately bootable. I have yet to encounter a non-pirated non-bootable win98SE disc.

And, of course, you can always use the beautiful small boot manager and use some other type of media to boot.
http://btmgr.sourceforge.net

umm, back to the original problem here. If you can get the floppy image that is created by the exe, you can put it onto a bootable cd and use it that way.

Originally posted by StormBringer
umm, back to the original problem here. If you can get the floppy image that is created by the exe, you can put it onto a bootable cd and use it that way.

That is what I meant in my original post... I don't see why that couldn't be done.

I would NOT suggest flashing your BIOS while windows is loaded... it is possible, but dangerous.

Can someone with a bootable windows 98 se CD, please extract the boot image (e.g. use isobuster - it should be a '.bin' file) and email me a copy so that I can make a bootable windows 98 se CD. I've never in my entire life seen a windows 98 CD that is bootable (maybe they don't exist in europe), and I've seen many. It would be very useful to me.

Also, I've flashed my award bios using winflash at least four times in the past, without problem. Try it in safe mode (I didn't) to be extra caucious.

PS: I own an original retail version of windows 98 se.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back