P4 3GHZ S478 to P4 EE 3.4GHZ upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a home studio music workstation PC running XP Home with an ABIT AI7 motherboard and a P4 3GHZ S478 800FSB 1MB with 2GB memory. I recently made the mistake of trying to improve the performance of music software by upgarding my motherboard and CPU to use Athlon 64 X2 4600. Unfortunately it was a disaster ( I guess too many changes to the HAL, etc). Since I have a lot of programs and plugins I was not up to doing a clean install. I even briefly considered upgarding to Vista....
Well, I re-installed the original MB and CPU and now I am back to 'normal'. I have, I think, one more option to consider: upgrading the CPU to the fastest S478 CPU I can find - P4 EE 3.4GHZ S478 2MB.

Is it worth it? Can I expect I noticeable speed/performance improvement?

I think that XP will allow the CPU change even if it requires re-activation which is OK with me.

I would like to get opinions.

Thanks!

Pentium 4 = netburst technology. There won't be a real noticable difference.

Atleast not a large enough one to upgrade. If you get the system working with the AMD processor, that would be a much better computer.

I tried with Athlon 64 X2 but it requires a clean install to get over XP issues. Maybe eventually I will but I just don't want to re-install all my applications and have to re-authorize all the music programs and plugins. It is a big headache! I wish I could upgrade even to Intel duo core though I understand that AMD 64 X2 is better. I am hoping to at least improve CPU performance a bit if it is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back