P4 types whats up with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheezHead

Other than the FSB are they all compatible to one another??

the HT P4's are 800mhz.,my 1.5 400mhz FSB is a Willemett<~spell check,Prescott or Northbrige??
Whats the Difference and how can i tell what i have??

The Willamette was available in both sockets ( 423 & 478 ). The only difference is mainly the 256K of L2 cache for the W ( instead of 512 for the N ) & the 0.18 manufacturing process.

It could be that certain newer boards only support CPUs with 133FSB & up, so that would rule out any Willamette since they always used the 100FSB.

I can't say I've seen boards that only supported the Northwood though. Maybe they didn't specify Willamette since not many people still use them.

In Further probing into mobo specs, it seems the CPU speed is a major factor in witch the mobo supports. Like the board im looking at says "Intell P4 400mhz 1.7~2.6,,Intell Celeron P4 400mhz 2.0 or faster.

Go figgure.
What a drag

They are not compatible. Willamet and Northwood have different number of pins on the CPU. Thus, if you try to fit a Northwood into a Socket 423-based board it will not work.

You could buy a 423->478 adapter, but it's best just to buy a new motherboard.

Originally posted by tripleione
They are not compatible. Willamet and Northwood have different number of pins on the CPU. Thus, if you try to fit a Northwood into a Socket 423-based board it will not work.

You could buy a 423->478 adapter, but it's best just to buy a new motherboard.

There are Willamette CPUs in the S478 format, it's not a problem with the pin count.

at this point all i can do is get a faster CPU the one i have is basicly a poormans P4
Thanks alot for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back