P4P8X-SE Memory Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackster

My specs: P4 2.8ghz Prescott, 2x512mb Elixir RAM, P4P8X-SE MB...

I recently bought 2x512mb of ram and added them with my current 2x256mb. No matter the combination of the slots I used, one pair of either ram would work, but if I used all four slots the computer would not boot up.

Both sets of ram are PC3200 400mhz 184pin.

From other forums I have received answers such as changing the voltage or memory timings in my BIOS, however these options are not available in my BIOS from startup, and I do not know exactly how to make these changes.

Im not too knowledgeable on the subject, but changing the voltage seems like a good way to mess up my computer. Any safe way of making these changes or alternatives would be helpful.

Please give all advice.

Thanks,
Jack

There are numbers on the chips on a little sticker ... post them here. Include the exact full model numbers.

Just registered tonight on the forums to post my question and already someone has replied--I love this website.

I can't get to my RAM at the moment, but I will post the numbers tomorrow.

Sorry for the arbitrary post :p

--Jack

Ruder said:
There are numbers on the chips on a little sticker ... post them here. Include the exact full model numbers.

On the sticker, it has a line of numbers/letters then it has the the specifications of the RAM, then the bar code and under that it has a single line of numbers/letters.

my 2x512mb Elxir
Top: M2U51264D58HC3G-5T
Bottom: 0613.GMG0632309B.94032309.XX.TW

my 2x256mb "Market RAM" (the Market sticker was put on by the store i bought it from, i think)
Top: 32X64dBOc8nSAM400
Bottom: 1911107110052061004TD

When i have all four sticks of RAM in my computer (2x512mb & 2x256mb) the computer will not boot up. I press the power button: the monitor is black with the "no signal, check cable" display, the lights on my mouse and keyboard do not come on like they normally do.

Using SiSoftware Sandra program from http://secure.ncix.com/forumpost/displaythread.php?threadid=959570, my memory timings from using just the 2x512mb and 2x256mb were different.

For the 2x256mb it gave me a speed of 2.5-3-3-8...for the 2x512mb it was 3.0-3-3-8. How do i fix this problem?

also, i've tried every combination of putting my RAM in, but isn't this the correct way: Slot 1 (blue)--512mb; Slot 2 (black)--256mb; Slot 3 (blue)--512mb; Slot 4 (black)--256mb.

By the way, i would appreciate it very much if we could discuss this over AOL or MSN messenger, to speed things up. im very anxious to get my 1.5gb RAM working correctly.

Thanks,
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back