Page Fault in NonPaged Area - Windows XP HOME (SP2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PianoServant

My PC (mypc.txt attached) gets a STOP x'050' Page Fault in NonPage area when I try to boot normally. I can boot into safe mode with or without networking (that's how I'm sending this).

This happened about 8 weeks ago - and I tried everything I could think of. I finally gave up and reformatted hard drive - and reinstalled XP and SP2. It ran fine for 2+ weeks - and then same thing happened. I have done this 3 times now - PC will run for 2-3 weeks without issue and then during a reboot - I get the STOP x'050' and can't go any further.

At first I thought it might be related to Norton AntiVirus - so I stopped using it and started using AVG.

I have run Seagate's utilities on my hard drives - and they all return normal. Memory check programs running all night - also return fine.

I've seen other posts mention a "dump file" or bug check - but (sorry) I don't know enough to know how to turn this on or....

Could this be Power supply related? I don't have a lot of extra cash (I'm a dad of teenagers!!) so I can't just run out and buy a power supply to experiment with. But if that is what I need...

Can someone please help me? If there are utilities that I can run or other information that I could supply that would help - please let me know. This is a very frustrating situation and I don't know what to do next.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. School is starting soon and this PC is going to be important for homework.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• MYPC.txt
    23.4 KB · Views: 11
Zip 4 to 5 minidumps and attach the zip files here. You can find the minidump at the foloder \windows\minidump

Unfortunately I don't have that folder (I have show hidden files and folders turned on so...).

Is there something else that I can provide or is there some way to turn this "on" so that when I boot the next time it will create a minidump? Keep in mind that I'm stuck in safe mode with networking until I can get this resolved (or until I reinstall windows and everything else again).

I appreciate your time!

To enable the creation of a minidump go to - Control Panel - System (in perfomance + maintenance if running XP version) - Click Settings under Startup and Recovery - Under ''Write Debugging Info'' select Small memory Dump (64kb). This should start to create minidumps whenever your pc crashes. If these settings are already started and your PC is not logging minidumps your looking at hardware problems with PSU or Mobo or CPU, as cpc will tell you :approve:

That's what I was afraid of. Everything is turned on to produce the mini-dump but nothing happens when I get the BSOD.

When I boot - I see the Windows Splash screen and the animated bar scrolls through about 5 times - and then I get the BSOD Stop x'050'.

I haven't found anyway around this. I can boot fine in safe mode - and if I reinstall Windows (what a pain!) I can boot fine and it runs fine for about 2 weeks. Then - on a reboot - I get a BSOD - and I continue to get it until I reinstall again.

If this were your PC and you were strapped for cash - where would you start? Power Supply?

This has been real frustrating. Any advice I can get I would greatly appreciate!!

I'd do some swapping around first, you don't by any chance have some old PC parts do you lying around whcih you could test? I must admit your error is constant (is it always the 0xc0000005 error) which may mean it's not hardware based as hardware based errors are usually very sporadic and normally always different. Is there a piece of software, or drivers that you are always installing on each reinstall of windows? What you could try do is use the pro version of burnintest which does simultaneous diagnostics of memory/cpu/disk drives/video and audio hardware. I can't gurantee it's accuracy though as I've only used it once.

Unfortunately I don't have access to "spare parts" that I can swap in and out of the PC.

Each time I reinstall Windows I reinstall fewer and fewer applications because this entire process gets frustrating. I don't have half of the stuff on here that I used to. I didn't even install Microsoft Office this time - because I wanted to wait a couple weeks first...glad I did. I just install the "basics": Microsoft Money, Incredimail, Everest Home Edition (so I can examine my PC), printer software, AVG and Ad-Aware.

Each time I do it I copy all of my "important files" to the slave drive and reformat the master - then install windows on the master. I have even switched the drives (made the master the slave...) and (obviously) I have the same issue.

It's almost as if there is a switch getting set that says ENOUGH! and then doesn't get "reset" until I reinstall Windows.

I have played with various nVidia driver releases. I've read where several people on here have had success with one version or another. But I've never had any luck changing versions - nothing seems to resolve the issue.

I've opened the PC, pulled out all of the cards, blown out the dust and put everything back in its place. I looked through all of the BIOS settings, but didn't find anything that I thought might help if I change it (although I would be tempted to push the self-destruct button if it had one!).

I don't know what to do next. I'm not thrilled with the idea of part-experimenting - and I don't want to invest in a new PC at this time - although if I have to...

Where's that vial of holy water - maybe that would work...

FYI - I downloaded BurnInTest V4.0 Pro and ran it - only errors were graphics (Hardware only Direct-Draw object creation not possible) and sound - Failed to play MIDI via sequencer.

But I think these are expected errors running in safemode - true?

Oh yeah, forgot you were in safe mode. Yeah those errors make sense. By the way have you checked the event viewer for the errors you are getting? Perhaps it has something to say..

I've checked the event viewer - but I don't see anything that seems to be related to the problem I'm having. I have attached application and system files.

Attachments

• System Events.txt
    30.7 KB · Views: 6
I can't be entirely sure what is causing the problem, there don't appear to be any systemerrors, do you get the blue screen with the memory dump at the bottom? Those Dr Watson errors lead me here which might be worth a look - http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=4097&eventno=265&source=DrWatson&phase=1....you got quite a few DCOM errors, but I have no idea what could have caused them, I myself are battling with some COM errors. CPC may be able to read the events more effeciently than I can.

Blue Screen - yes; Memory Dump - no - even though it is turned on.

I have tried the Small, Complete, and Kernel and still get no dumps. I have tried the default directory - and a directory of my own choosing - preexisting and not....still nothing.

And you are right about the DCOM errors - I do have alot - but that is because DCOM won't start in safe mode - if you go back before I started getting the BSOD this time (around 8:30 PM on 8-3) there are only a few.

Unless I am reading this incorrectly - I DO have the paging setup on C:. Was there something you saw that made you think it wasn't??

Attachments

• VirtMem.JPG
    VirtMem.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 5
Procedure to activate minidump
Control Panel --> System --> Advance --> Startup and Recovery --> Write debugging information --> Check minidump

Attach the screen dump of Write debugging information here
Reboot Windows to activate the change

Additional information: here are the stop x'050' numbers I am getting. Hopefully they will make sense to someone:

0x82857000 0x00000000 0xEDDD1985 0x00000000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back