paging file missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soap

when i login to my windows 2000 computer it comes up with a message about no paging file and gives directions on how to set the size for it in the performance options except when i do go in there my chosen file size is still there but windows is making a temporary 20mb paging file. does anyone know what could be causing this??? and how to fix it?

Is the error something like this?
Limited Virtual Memory
Your system is running without a properly sized paging file. Please use the virtual memory option of the System applet in the Control Panel to create a paging file or to increase the initial size of your paging file.

Limited Virtual Memory
Your system has no paging file or the paging file is too small.

See if this MSKB Article helps http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140472

i do get that about about 5 mins of using the computer. thanks this should hopefully fix it.

It is...

40GB Laptop. partitioned to 2x20GB. I have enough space left

This happened when I was recording music, it suddenly rebooted itself! Maybe I was doing to much at once.
Now every time I turn it off, it turns itself back on! Which is MASSIVELY annoying! and when it loads it says the above error.

I also could not locate pagingfile.sys at all.

Thank you

stripeyshirt said:
40GB Laptop. partitioned to 2x20GB. I have enough space left

This happened when I was recording music, it suddenly rebooted itself! Maybe I was doing to much at once.
Now every time I turn it off, it turns itself back on! Which is MASSIVELY annoying! and when it loads it says the above error.

I also could not locate pagingfile.sys at all.

Thank you

How much space left is enough ? ?

Verify that you're not out of disk space.
Open My Computer, click View -> Details
Check the Free Space column to verify you're not out of disk space.
If you're very low (ie. 100 Mb) then purge your temporary files and reboot.

Otherwise, open your system properties.
Start menu -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System

Click on the tab labeled Advanced.
Click on the Settings button under Performance.
Click on the Advanced tab.
Click Change in the Virtual memory section.
Increase the Maximum size (MB) value
Click Set
Click OK OK OK
reboot

I am fine for freespace, and everytime i change the max and min size, and hit set. It does not save.
I tried to hunt down the pagefile.sys and it wasin't there.
I am about to reboot my computer, but I am desperate not too!

Thanks

You haven't rebooted? You have to do that for changes to take effect.

Unless you meant reinstall windows.

Hello, thought I would put in my two cents. first you should set your pagefile to 1.5 the amount of your ram. You could also put your page file on a seperate partition or if you have two harddrives you could put the pagefile on the faster drive and make the upper and lower bounds set the same this can speed your computer. you can even have two or more page files at once etc...

Late
Puppetgrimm1

Same Problem: No Paging File + Auto Restart with Shut Down

Has anyone found a solution to this? The Microsoft fix didn't work.
Attempts to reset the size of the paging file don't work. Also, I tried creating a paging file on my slave drive instead. That doesn't work either.
And, yeah, what's with the computer automatically restarting when I shut down?!!

I was having the same problem, it started while I was installing some audio plug ins.

Following the advice of one of the folks here i did a restore to a point before the problem started.
That seems to have solved my problem.

certain Intel chipsets can cause errors reload if you think you have these
check your security settings for the main OS partition reset ownership and try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back