PainKiller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow - now I'm going back in to play a bit more - make sure I was really impressed.

Damn, another 200+MB demo I have to download:D I just got UT2004(awesome), Farcry, and now this. Thanks for pointing this one out :grinthumb

Same here, though I haven't had enough time to play them a lot, in the recent weeks I downloaded all those three demos, thank god for Bit Torrent!

Far Cry seemed really cool so far though I still need to play more to make a good judgement. UT feels a lot like 2k3 though if you like fast paced multiplayer action it probably doesn't get much better than that.

Got Painkiller today but haven't even launched it yet though I have heard it's over simplified action a la Serious Sam with better graphics, still have to try it myself.

K - I put a bit more time into it - and have made some conclusions. The game is very pretty with several cool little tricks you can do with your weapons, but the gameplay gets kinda boring pretty fast. You have to kill all the mobs in a room to enter the next area and that is a huge downfall in my eyes. I only played Stages I and III and so far I've only see a few different types of mobs - maybe 6 or 7. I am surprised at how well it ran though - I'll post some of the pics I took - ran just fine at 1280x1024 4xAA 8xAF

This looks like the correct place to post my impressions of this game...

Well, I picked it up today since I couldn't find any good book. And so far it looks like a mistake.

It has been reported a lot of problems with installing and starting for people who's using Daemon-Tools and other image-loaders. This is because of the "lovely" SafeDisc copy-protection.
Then you add to the problem that not all drives are able to read the bloody disks, and you have a problem.

Luckily for me neither installation nor starting the game was a problem. Continuing playing once started though, is another matter.

I launched the game full of apprehension, but it loaded as it should, and I was treated to a very nice intro. Very good-looking graphics, interesting enough story and the promise of a lot of killing.

After moving very carefully at first trying to get to grips with the enviroment, I jumped a bit as doors rose up in every entranceway and Zombie Warriors started appearing. Hitting the fire-button gave me another suprise. Instead of the regular weak bullet/knife/axe I found myself wielding what resembled several knives rotating so as to make a sawblade. I moved it into the nearest zombie and saw him be torn to bits. Cool! This was a weapon to be reckoned with, unlike what you get in most other games. 30 seconds later I was all alone in the graveyard, and quite a few soules more healthy (the souls the dead enemies leaves behind acts like health-packs in other games. But they only stay around for a second or two)

Moving on I quickly cleared yet another arena, getting into the feel of the game. Really nice. At the next (or was it the previous) arena I found a shotgun, but the "painkiller" as the first weapon is called were the most in use. (Much better for "crowd-control" which is quite important early on)

But then the problems started. I went into the save dialog to see if I could save when not moving from one place to another, and everything hung. But since I'd had some problem with another program before I tried the game, I didn't think to much of it.
So after pushing in the restart button on my computer and 2 min of boot-time (with checkdisk) I was ready to continue. Luckily there was an auto-save 2 from a couple of seconds before the crash, so I could keep on playing.

I cleared yet another arena, met a few new enemies (banshees) and got my first taste to playing as a demon (pick up a red soul and you'll turn into a demon for a little while) before, yep, you've guessed it, another hard-lock hit.

Whilst waiting for the boot once again, I started feeling the same apprehension I'd had when launching the game the first time. Was I experiencing the same problems others had reported? Oh, well. There was a patch out which was supposed to fix a lot of problems with the game. So downloaded and installed that (backing up my savegames first though!), and tried again.

Ah, that must've been it. Everything was flowing, the graphics was nice. And here came a bigger bad-guy than anything I'd met before. A frantic minute later I was short on shotgun ammo, but there wasn't an (un)dead enemy in sight. And the level was cleared. Stocking up on all the ammo I could find (there was a nice cache in a secret place), I stepped on through.

The new level loaded, and I moved forward much quick than before. From what i'd read in the manual, the Evil Munks I was facing where supposed to be quite deadly, but my shotgun took them out before I could find out for myself. When I entered a little hall, and the doors closed, I figured I was in for a bit of fragging, and what do you know, 2 munks spawned before me, and 2 behind me. And as soon as their souls were claimed by me, they spawned again. But whilst running around there, the hard-lock struck again.

Pretty pissed of, hey, it was a fun fight, I had to reboot yet once again. And this was the third time today, compared to max once pr week usually.
But so frag-hungry as I was I loaded the game up once more to kick some more munks' behind and clear that level too. But since I hadn't dared try saving (what with what had happened the last time I tried), I had to start the level afresh. That in itself wasn't a problem, but no sooner had I reached the hall again before my computer froze yet again.

It was no longer any use trying to deny it, I too was having the same problems described on their (DreamCatcher) tech-support forum.

Now, mostly I'd think, ok, no matter. They'll put out a patch and fix the problems. But reading the forum a bit deeper, I found that some of these bugs have been known since before the game shipped (like the problem with the drives, the problem with Daemon-tools etc), and still haven't been fixed. Nor has the freezing problems been adressed properly. They've fixed 8, eight, problems in that patch, which they've been working on since at least the game shipped! (Ok, they've also fixed 25 multiplayer related bugs, but still! This is supposed to be a singleplayer game!)

I'm posting this up as a word of warning that no matter how fun the game is to play or how good it looks, the former is very hard to do in any proper length of time.
So unless you have a computer which reboots very fast, and you don't mind rebooting every 6-7 minutes, this is a game best avoided until dreamcatcher can manage to create a proper patch which clears it of all these problems.

As for why such a long post. I am quite frustrated because of this, and instead of creating a sour griping post, I figured I'd try to make a semi-review in a humorous tone which others might enjoy reading. :)

Oh, well. Back to either Savage or BF:1942, as those at least work as they should....

[EDIT]
Typos
[/EDIT]

I played through the entire game, then over again. Never had a single issue in the least. Ran perfectly. Not one drop in FPS. Loaded very very quickly. Installed fast and smooth. Perfectly made game.

acid, then I envy you!

The game looks and plays very well when ignoring the bugs, and I'd love to be able to play it for long stretches of time.

Akio> What do you mean download? Download the demo and try it for yourself? If so, yes, download it. (Though I'm not sure if I'd bother with the mulitplayer demo. The MP part of the game was rather bland)

The multiplayer in Painkiller is very sad. It's the worst and most pointless multiplayer game I have ever played. Painkiller was pretty fun in single player but MP.. I tried for about 2 hours to get used to it but now I wont even touch multiplayer. You literally run around shoot "towards" a crowd hoping to hit something or just keep firing while you run away hoping to hit someone. The luckiest person wins. There is no strategy whatsoever in the game play other than try your best to dodge 15 different stakes at once from all directions. You never live more than about 5 seconds normally.

Hehehe, yeah it isn't anywhere near where it should be.

And why on earth do they have the stake-gun as start weapon? Would've been better with the painkiller, since it'd requrie people to play more actively.

Also, while I haven't played MP much (though that part of the game doesn't crash), the rockets + quad is dead boring. There's usually one (or two taking turns) who run around with this killing everyone else. Meaning you get to spawn, find where there's a crowd and be blown to bits.
Now, if the game were more balanced, sure np, but as it is.....

There is a mod out to combat the last problem though, but I'll wait until I can get proper singleplayer before I start messing around with mods.

WRT the singleplayer part... I though I'd fixed it with Cat 4.6, as I got to play 2 levels, but it crashed when I tried to unlock level 2 again. :(
But at least I managed to get the TechSupports attention, so I'm waiting for what they can find out from the patch coders.

no prob w/ game but

Hi guys
I started playing a few weeks back. I didn't have any problems running the game. I have a pretty new and fast Dell. The game did frustrate me though. I couldn't figure out how to access the secret crypt (or kiosk, whatever) in the first level even though I could see into it. Look from the back side and through a crack. I also could not access the upstairs room from the court full of barrels. I was fairly bored moving on through because of this. Is there a walk through for this game yet? Killng your way through is just more of the same.

In the games favor fragging is very smooth and spectacular. Its just cliche.

Hi Mr. G.
I saw that forum soon after I posted here. Yeah its pretty good. I wish I could develope more enthusiasm for Painkiller but I get tired of it pretty quick.

Hehehe, I can understand that.

I dunno, but it seems to have caught my attention for now, but since I've started to download so many mods for BF:1942 (Silent Heroes is great considering where I'm from), I play it less and less...

Dunno if I'll go much farther than the level after asylum.
But I guess time will tell...

Originally posted by acidosmosis
The multiplayer in Painkiller is very sad. It's the worst and most pointless multiplayer game I have ever played. Painkiller was pretty fun in single player but MP.. I tried for about 2 hours to get used to it but now I wont even touch multiplayer. You literally run around shoot "towards" a crowd hoping to hit something or just keep firing while you run away hoping to hit someone. The luckiest person wins. There is no strategy whatsoever in the game play other than try your best to dodge 15 different stakes at once from all directions. You never live more than about 5 seconds normally.

I was actually a MP-Beta tester (and my name is in the credits for external beta test) and this was my experience on multiplayer...

It was fun, but it had loooooots of bugs, so we were all scrambling to get the ideas and problems into PCF and DC.... then out of no where they pulled the plug, thanked everyone, ,and called it anight.... Everyone was baffled and thought it was NOT ready, and we had only beta tested for a couple months. It's a shame because it had the promise of being a Q3 killer in MP... but they pushed the release up to fast and canned the MP Beta way before it was even remotely tweaked.

Having said that, I bought the game anyway, and the Single PLayer was a lot of fun. You guys forgot to mention the Tarot Cards part of the game, giving you more challenges on top of copmpleteing the level in order to get a card you can use as a bonus later on. Very nice little feature. Sub-Quests like "complete the level using only weapon X' or "wihtout collecting a single soul" or "destroy all destroyable objects"

Some of these take some serious effort to complete, and you usually get some pretty awesome cards.

I recommend this game to old-style doom guys... to everyone else... wait til it drops to like 20-30 bucks before picking it up.

Originally posted by LNCPapa
Wow - now I'm going back in to play a bit more - make sure I was really impressed.

Indeed. I had the same problem.
I playd the demo a few times, just for the eye candy.
The game is awersome.

Painkiller tries to be scary and serious at first but it makes me chuckle a bit when I play through it. The game has a nice arcade-like feel to it. Rag doll type physics are a good touch also.

The storyline is kinda unrealistic (or is it?) but that does not matter. Just kill every undead creature in your way and have loads of fun! :D I would just stay away from playing the awful multiplayer though. I did not like it.

Ive been trying to play both demos with no luck. When the game first starts I get alot of dropped frames for a few minutes but then it goes away. 10-15 min. in my computer locks up. If I try to save or exit the game the computer reboots. It looks really good but game play gets monotinous, kind of like Half Life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back