Painting Hard Drive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r1_forever

Does anyone think painting a Hard Drive in high temp engine paint would do anything adverse to the drives performance or longetivity? I want to spray it in metallic blue as I have a Clear Case that has a blue tint to it. I have done the CD/RW in it and it looks great, but I'de love to finish it off now so to speak.
Andrew.

I don't think you'll be in any more danger than you already are with a mechanical disk drive. ;)

Nah, you'd be fine. I wouldnt even take the caution of getting a hd cooler. I doubt the paint would insulate the heat.

that would rock. nice idea just like when i tried to put radiator fluid in a friends water cooling. i just say go for it.

The paint unless you are brushing it on real thick will have a very minimal insulative effect. Provided you keep the paint out of the breathe holes you should be just fine.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys. Think I just needed some pushing in that direction. Will let you know it goes and post a pic.
Andrew.

Good idea, maybe if I run across a less subtle (maybe a lightish, UV reactive) red paint I should try that with mine. I haven't done anything for my computer recently aesthetics wise, and that may be a cool spring break project (since I'm not going anywhere :() I would only do the part that's stickout and you can see, if I were you, that's all i would do - no point to do anything beyond. Painting the metal on the side of my drive encasements would be cool too...

You'll invalidate the warranty, but I guess you already know that. I wouldn't do it to a brand new drive just in case.

Originally posted by Nic
You'll invalidate the warranty, but I guess you already know that. I wouldn't do it to a brand new drive just in case.

So I shouldn't do it to my 74GB Raptor? ;)

Heh, that drive paint wouldbe pretty awesome. i have a clear uv case myself and i wanna make those stand out like my fans, cables and case do. i wanted to spray paint my cpu fan, a turbine cooler, and my drives. let me know how it goes, most liekly ill follow suit if you dont run itno anything.

good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back