PalmOne reports $4.1 million loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Mobile device maker PalmOne, carved out from the merger of the hardware spinoff of Palm and former rival Handspring, reported a second-quarter net loss of $4.1 million on Thursday.

Read more: CNet News.

For some reason this dosen't surprise me. Frankly I think PPC is much better than Palm, and lots of people who are buying new PDA's are leaning towards the Pocket PC versions, instead of the palm based ones. I think this is going to be a continuing trend for Palm, and it is unfortunate because they make good products.

Doesn't really surprise me either, while Palm does make excellent products, they do seem to have gimmic features that aren't really useful for many people who use handhelds.

I figure that they are good for blue color workers in cubicals. I have no use along with other people.

They aren't likely to recover from this either. Palm was the original company who invented PDAs, but the industry has so incredibly taken off, Palm was left in the dust. I suppose they are a noneffective company who had a brilliant idea. They could easily be in the industry still, but they probably thought they were in control of the industry for too long, then came a time where they failed to adopt new and different technologies, and failed, where other companies did accept and built off these new technologies, and are succeeding now.

$.02

Originally posted by StormBringer
Doesn't really surprise me either, while Palm does make excellent products, they do seem to have gimmic features that aren't really useful for many people who use handhelds.
What kind of gimmic features are we talking about here? The Palm Zire is as basic of a PDA as you can get. And what do people who use handhelds want? I think handheld users can probably be classified into those who need an advanced organizer, those who want a gadget to play with, and those in between. Palms are great organizers and their batteries can last up to 2 weeks of normal use. Pocket PCs on the other hand need to be recharged every other day at the least. Overlooking this disadvantage, Pocket PCs have great software and multimedia capabilities. Almost all Pocket PCs have color screens and sound playback. It is up to the user to buy a PDA that suits his needs.

by gimic I just meant that they seem to place more importance on the games and music features than the features most people look for in a handheld. Thats just my opinion, I'm sure many users need those things, but I don't, I know that Palm makes products without those extras, but those aren't the ones you see jammed in your face when you go looking for a handheld.

Originally posted by Vehementi
They aren't likely to recover from this either. Palm was the original company who invented PDAs, but the industry has so incredibly taken off, Palm was left in the dust. I suppose they are a noneffective company who had a brilliant idea. They could easily be in the industry still, but they probably thought they were in control of the industry for too long, then came a time where they failed to adopt new and different technologies, and failed, where other companies did accept and built off these new technologies, and are succeeding now.

$.02

hey new to these boards and wanted to give a quick cred where cred is due. Apple was the first on the PDA scene with the Newton with IBM and Palm following.

Originally posted by Noj
hey new to these boards and wanted to give a quick cred where cred is due. Apple was the first on the PDA scene with the Newton with IBM and Palm following.

Ok, ok...I got the impression that it was Palm that had the original PDA. Or maybe they just made it mainstream? I really have no idea, I just had the idea that Palm was the original PDA company.

i gotcha, the Newton while an awsome PDA did not get the marketing machine behind it that Palm did. i personally own a Zodiac 2 and find it far superior to any other PDA i've owned (PPC & Palm).

The PPC's are much more versatile for most people. While the average consumer only needs the few applications, a palm will work fine, but for a more technologically savvy person would probably like a PPC, because of the functionality of it.

I just think Palm is now out of their league and should cut their losses before they get even worse.

The PPC's are much more versatile for most people. While the average consumer only needs the few applications, a palm will work fine, but for a more technologically savvy person would probably like a PPC, because of the functionality of it.

i would have to disagree, PPC main weakness is that its a Windows product and plagued by the same problems you would find in other MS apps. the beauty of the Palm OS is that its small and fast with hundreds of well coded 3rd party apps. my iPaq suffered from problems with the amp to in ability to play movies at anything other than a couple of frames per second (even when aggressively encoded). i have found my Palm 5 based Zodiac to excellent for everything from running my day to day to watching full stereo 16:9 vids on the train. again if you are a windows person then you propbably migrate to what you are familiar with ... but superior does not it make .

See I haven't had any problems with any of my PPC's I've owned. And I have an ipaq right now that plays movies great. I think it's just like anything else, and goes with personal preference. I simply like the PPC's better than the Palm based ones, and I've tried both. To each is own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back