PART & XOSL or FDISK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikescorpio81

Hi all ...

I have just got my hot lil hands on a copy of WIN SERVER 2003 & am currently running XP Pro. I will be partitioning my HDD but I was just wondering ... is it better to use FDISK or PART & XOSL? I haven;t ever actually partitioned my home pc before, but at TAFE we used this program called PART which enabled us to create up to 5 Primary Partitions. XOSL is a program you setup after you have partitioned your HDD so you can be prompted with a menu at the start of you OS boot up.
What does FDISK look like or how does it enable you to switch from one OS to the other? Has it got to be done thru DOS?

Anyway all your thoughts would be appreciated!

Cheers :grinthumb

You cannot have more than 4 primary partitions unless you want to violate the PC standard.

Fdisk will not help you to multiboot. It just manages partitions.

Just to add to Nodsu. Fdisk doesn't move partitions it deletes & creates so any data needs to be backed up.

You need to SHRINK or resize your existing partition(s) first, to make room for new ones.
Partition Magic is THE tool for this. FDISK can't resize.
To be sure, make a backup first.

Cool thanx guys ...

I'll be doing it after work 2nite so hopefully all goes well :giddy:

Although I am a little scared that I will lose my stuff, but i'll just save it all & re-do everything from the beginning I think. Probably use PART, although I was looking at my friends FDISK partition & it seems ok too ... but I might want to add WIN98 a little later on so I need at least 3-4 Primary Partitions.

Thanx again :grinthumb

In order for OS's to play nice in a dual-boot setup in general they have to be installed from oldest to newest...

Just a rule of thumb...i've wasted plenty of time trying it the other way.

patio. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back