Partition Magic 8.0 Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just purchased a new computer that I put together. I am trying to use Partition Magic 8.0 to split my 200 GB hard drive into 2 partitions, a 80 GB and a 120 GB. I have used the software before and it has worked fine. But when I set up a partition and the system reboots to complete the process, the blue chkdsk screen appears momentarily. It says that the process has completed (the screen only appears for a few seconds), and when I get to windows I have no partition. I can't figure out what the problem is, if PM 8.0 can't partition big HDs or what. I have tried several different setups to partition but none have worked, and I have probably tried it 10 times. ANY HELP??!??! PLEASE?!?! It's driving me crazy

Welcome to TechSpot

My (recommended) way to use PM for splitting a big HD is:
- Backup your critical data
- Start PM from a bootfloppy or the CD, rather than from within Windows (you CAN do it from within, if you want)
- Select Resize a Partition; set it to 80GB from the beginning; click Next and Finish
- Click Apply at the bottom
- Reboot

- Start PM again
- select Create a New Partition; set it to use the leftover space (ca 120GB)
Give the new partition a Label, Create as: Logical, File System Type: NTFS; Make the Driveletter E:
(assuming D: = CD-ROM and E: would be the next free letter)
Click Next to see a summary, if OK click on Finish
- Click Apply at the bottom
- Reboot

I suggest you use Partition Table Doctor to resolve your
problem.The software provides very useful functions:
Backup partition table, Restore partition table, Rebuild
partition table, undelete partition, Fix boot sector,
rebuild mbr,etc.

First thing I recommend you download the demo version of
Partition Table Doctor.( http://www.ptdd.com/download.htm )

Run the program and select "Rebuild Partition Table",
then choose "Interactive" mode.

See more: http://www.ptdd.com/recoverylostpartition.htm
http://www.ptdd.com/recoverdeletedpartition.htm
http://www.ptdd.com/partition-recovery.htm
http://www.ptdd.com

I'm having a very similar problem to the one spock describes, and it hasn't really been addressed yet. To quote:

"But when I set up a partition and the system reboots to complete the process, the blue chkdsk screen appears momentarily. It says that the process has completed (the screen only appears for a few seconds), and when I get to windows I have no partition."

That's exactly what's happening. To compound this, I have two 200 Gig SATA drives in RAID 0, so the "boot to the CD" utility doesn't see them. It seems I can only resize my "C:" drive from Windows, and everything looks good until the reboot. After the reboot, nothing has happened. It's like PM forgot what I told it to do. Any suggestions (that also may help spock)?

I've got the exact same problem, and I'm trying to find a way to work around it.

I've got an 80 GB harddrive, and I wanted to split it into two partitions, 60 gigs and 20 gigs respectively. I reboot, the bluescreen appears, tells me the changes are being applied, then boots up Windows. Only, nothing's happened. There's still only the one 80 GB partition there.

I've been looking around for ages to find a solution to this problem. Got any ideas?

Try making the PM rescue floppies and using the floppy version. This takes Windows out of the equation and you don't miss any error messages.

And make sure you have the patched version of PM8!

PM8 problems

I have external HD, it has two partitions one pimary and one logical, the operating system is on the internal HD on its pimary partition therefore i decided to convert the external HD primary partition to logical even thought i knew that is is not the good idea, because i wasn't shore about the fack can slave HD (EXTERNAL) work without the primary partition, just with logical. When the computer rebooted it took a long time to make changes to my converted partition, finally wen PM did the changes to my partition it become invisible to WIN XP, but not for the PM8, it showed the partition in the yellow color and it wasn't converted in to the logical partition it is now as it was before the primary partition. I had important data on it and I need to get the data visible for Win. ANY HELP??!??!

Most likely PM8 hid the partition. Just set the thing to be visible again in PM (and pray that no data was lost).

Or you could just restore your data from the backups you made just like you were told, right?

Pm8

Hi Nodsu and hi Estonia, thank you for your reply. My question to you is how to make thing (you mean partition) visible, if the PqRP - other partitions can only be deleted, formatted, or letter can be changed. And nearly all new laptops and pc's haven't got floppy drive, right?

IIRC, in the Partition Magic environment, right click the partition, advanced->hide/unihide

If your partition is of the PqRP type, then you are in more trouble - something went wrong while PM was making changes to it.

It is possible to create a bootable CD out of the PM rescue floppies. All you need is a virtual floppy drive and some knowledge..

How to get rid of Partition Macig Batch?

I tried to do something stupid, which was not succesfull, and PM8 batch prevents my XP to boot.
I even installed another XP to another partition and removed all and everything from that original partition which has something to do with PM8, but that batch is still there, and booting to that older XP installation is not possible.
This is not first time i am in this situation, and i am curious to know if there is some way to clear/revome that b(i)atch.

I found website where was said that batch file is "Pq_sm40.pqb" -And like i said, i removed that and everything else too, but nothing helps. =/

Use this:
Code:
http://www.partition-manager.com/
Code:
Unique Smart Partition™ technology, used in Partition Manager 7.0 enables to perform almost all hard disk partitioning operations without losing a single byte of data. You can be 100% sure, that no data will be lost even during most complicated partitioning operations on your hard disk.
I read a review and the guys testing it said that they even shut down the pc in the middle of the partitioning process and ....no data lost.
You can make a bootable CD and make all the changes from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back